161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6534 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Presumably you have the figures to hand?
    Nope not the actual figures but working in advertising I know the volumes they've booked and uber has spent a fortune compared to the local activities of the black taxi trade.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're confused it's because you're making up both sides of the argument as you go along.

1. I had no idea how much it would cost when I got in the cab
    2. I have no idea how much the driver got paid and whether it was worthwhile for him.
    3. He was 3 mins away when I booked and it was a quick straight ride out, early morning with clear roads. That's 15 mins so double to get back.
    4. I don't know how much it costs to run a taxi

At a guess of 50% covering costs and Uber's cut and 50% to the driver he's making £10 an hour. I've no way of knowing how much work he gets or whether he's long sitting waiting for fares but that really just confirms my point that I have no real way of judging whether Uber are treating their drivers well. That doesn't mean I don't care or think that driving down wages is a great thing.
    Standard put down from you that others are confused and making it up as they go along.... Dearie me.

Why not man up and admit you booked Uber because it was cheaper. And you are a clever guy so you know exactly why it's cheaper.

And I'm out of this thread.

Yours etc, Hitler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    Unlike you and smurfs Nazi exchange, Thatcherite is applied as a genuine question in response to your apparent support for a closed shop which protects earnings being bust open and control passed to the consumer. That is what Thatcherism pretty much is - and this applies however much über drivers earn. So do you concede the point that you think this is a sound principle for ordering the economy?

As for über drivers - I'm not going on a wild goose chase for you H. You're hiding from the obvious point that like for like über rates are way cheaper ergo drivers earnings are being driven down. It's a bit undignified tbh - if you just said that the über model was preferable despite that downside (if you see it that way) or in correspondence with your apparent Thatcherite principles, then that would be rather more respectable at least from where I sit. Taking the "I'm just a wee guy what do I ken" root is a bit cringey - you're a smart guy not some naive hick and it doesn't wash. Feck it you work in the digital economy - you feckin know how this stuff works better than even the smart average joe.

In any case as above, and this one I really can't see how you can dispute - if you can have no say here where you directly control the transaction and the choice you absolutely cannot be qualified to complain about the wider economy, Shirley ?

- - - Updated - - -
    @hibadelic - I decided to give you one Google. Here's the picture from the US;

http://uberdriverdiaries.com/how-muc...s-really-make/

Unlike city cabs you can bet uber have ranks of quants working in just how far they can squeeze people. Driver rates have been cut 15/20% from the chicken feed in the survey data. The more uber squeezes out alternatives the lower it will go.
    I thought I'd provided enough reasons why it's impossible for me to have the vaguest idea how much drivers are making. You haven't addressed any of that so you'll have to excuse me if I don't induldge your Thatcherite chat.

I'll take a look at your link in a bit.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    I thought I'd provided enough reasons why it's impossible for me to have the vaguest idea how much drivers are making. You haven't addressed any of that so you'll have to excuse me if I don't induldge your Thatcherite chat.

I'll take a look at your link in a bit.
    You are throwing up a load of chaff which does not disguise the point that you know fine uber is much cheaper, ergo earnings are being driven down.

I have made no further claim - ie drivers being on starvation rations or what have you. If you are trying to make a point so counter intuitive as rates can be driven way down without earning being driven down, then the onus is on you to demonstrate how your perpetual motion machine works. That's before the data you have now been provided.

The Thatcherism point stands even in the unlikely event uber drivers earned more. You implied it was a good thing that labour cartels were broken in the consumer interest. Have the stones to admit where your position sits or please clarify if that was not your meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Nope not the actual figures but working in advertising I know the volumes they've booked and uber has spent a fortune compared to the local activities of the black taxi trade.

- - - Updated - - -

Standard put down from you that others are confused and making it up as they go along.... Dearie me.

Why not man up and admit you booked Uber because it was cheaper. And you are a clever guy so you know exactly why it's cheaper.

And I'm out of this thread.

Yours etc, Hitler.
    I've not denied I booked it because it's cheaper, or I thought it might be. That was my whole point in posting, (and more evidence that you're just reading whatever you want in my posts) I was surprised at how cheap. Are you saying you always buy the most expensive service in everything because that sounds bonkers.

Not sure why you're getting your knickers in such a twist or getting so abusive over this. All I'm saying is that I don't know how much the driver is getting paid and have no reliable way of calculating it. that's just a fact.

It seems likely that Uber drivers are making less than black cabs but given the monopoly they've had over the years, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not a fact that all of the reduction in price is just coming out of the drivers end as you seem to think. As I mentioned, Uber us a scaled business with far lower overheads. They may have spent more on marketing recently due to being in launch phase but I can guarantee they have way lower overheads generally.

So we're left with whether they're making minimum wage. If not and if it's happening widely they should be afforded protection through the usual channels rather than via public boycotts. I don't see that as an effective way of running things.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6534 Post(s)
    vCash
    I've not denied I booked it because it's cheaper, or I thought it might be. That was my whole point in posting, (and more evidence that you're just reading whatever you want in my posts) I was surprised at how cheap. Are you saying you always buy the most expensive service in everything because that sounds bonkers.

Not sure why you're getting your knickers in such a twist or getting so abusive over this. All I'm saying is that I don't know how much the driver is getting paid and have no reliable way of calculating it. that's just a fact.

It seems likely that Uber drivers are making less than black cabs but given the monopoly they've had over the years, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not a fact that all of the reduction in price is just coming out of the drivers end as you seem to think. As I mentioned, Uber us a scaled business with far lower overheads. They may have spent more on marketing recently due to being in launch phase but I can guarantee they have way lower overheads generally.

So we're left with whether they're making minimum wage. If not and if it's happening widely they should be afforded protection through the usual channels rather than via public boycotts. I don't see that as an effective way of running things.
    I take exception to you suggesting I'm being "offensive". It was you who called me "Hitler"!

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    You are throwing up a load of chaff which does not disguise the point that you know fine uber is much cheaper, ergo earnings are being driven down.

I have made no further claim - ie drivers being on starvation rations or what have you. If you are trying to make a point so counter intuitive as rates can be driven way down without earning being driven down, then the onus is on you to demonstrate how your perpetual motion machine works. That's before the data you have now been provided.

The Thatcherism point stands even in the unlikely event uber drivers earned more. You implied it was a good thing that labour cartels were broken in the consumer interest. Have the stones to admit where your position sits or please clarify if that was not your meaning.
    Strangely enough, I don't think Uber had that effect. There have long been private hire companies charging whatever they like.

You're still refusing to comment on the fact that Uber doesn't need to make as much money on each trip, has lower overheads and greater scale. I'm not suggesting that driver earnings aren't suffering, simply that it isn't a pound for every pound you save.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    I take exception to you suggesting I'm being "offensive". It was you who called me "Hitler"!
    It was a tounge in cheek retort to you comparing me to Mike Ashley and your various other aggressive posts prior to that. Clearly went over your head though.

Juvenile Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    I wonder why taxi drivers don't all get together and create their own app. Surely with all the millions of drivers out there globally if each chipped in £20 they could get the kit and the coding sorted. Taxi drivers have always relied on middlemen to run booking offices etc but it's my understanding, through the many complaints I hear, that they're sucked dry for radios and fares.

Cut out the middleman and make more money. Uber were recently valued at £40bn so they evidently have a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Juvenile Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    Obviously above doesn't work for black cab drivers due to licencing laws but that's life. Times change and whilst there will always be folk wanting to hail cabs others will want to book one with a couple of clicks on their mobile.

I'm somewhat desensitised to the plight of forcing wages down because at the ripe old age of 34 my skills, in the IT sector of all things, have been replaced by automation making work harder to come by. Furthermore the jobs that remained have been "geographically displaced" and moved out to India.

Just seems to me this is life and we've all got to get on with it. I've accepted these facts and cut my cloth accordingly. Maybe in time as our wages go down, whilst those elsewhere go up we will hit an equilibrium where the playing field is a bit more level.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6534 Post(s)
    vCash
    It was a tounge in cheek retort to you comparing me to Mike Ashley and your various other aggressive posts prior to that. Clearly went over your head though.
    Oh come on!! Me comparing you to Mike Ashley wasn't tongue firmly in cheek? Aggressive?

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    950 Post(s)
    vCash
    Because most of us simply aren't qualified to and don't have enough information to make a judgement on the business models of every company we pay money to. That Uber drivers are being exploited more than other cab company's drivers is far from clear IMO

On driverless cars, we're talking about 5 years by most estimates. I'd consider that soon.
    So, from an insurance point of view.... how does the liability work?

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6657 Post(s)
    vCash

Could it not be that because UBER has so many drivers it can afford to make less profit from each and that therefore it is their own "profit per cab" that has gone down rather than the drivers earnings or at least has minimised the driver's loss of earnings?
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    the 'sharing' economy is an interesting one - it has a lot of attractions but no-one has found a way to protect workers rights/conditions/liabilities. It appears certain though that technological change is going to see more and more of this type of enterprise, it's been mentioned already but the co-operative model is one that could work quite well.

is it unethical to use AirB&B or Uber as a consumer? I'm not sure its straightforward, I have a certain sympathy for Hibadelic's line of argument on that. I'm less than convinced there is always a straight forward relationship between price 9of service or good) and the conditions in which workers find themselves - lets not restrict this only to pay which is but one (albeit important) factor. That said it does seem likely that there is a high degree of tax evasion and worker exploitation possible as things currently stand as this new economy emerges. Of course the rise of independent workers and 'flexible' working patterns precedes all this its not really new in that sense. For example many massive employers such as Tescos and MickeyDs use zero hours contracts, even the Tate Gallery and poor old Lizzie Windsor do too. It is ubiquitous in our society and as a consumer its hard work to keep informed on who is better than their competitor (ethically).

For me the workers or alternatively the state should be exploring ways to overcome some of these issues. it can be done I think but its a tough one to lay at the door of the consumer (entirely).
    "The old is dying and the new cannot be born. In this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms can appear"

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Could it not be that because UBER has so many drivers it can afford to make less profit from each and that therefore it is their own "profit per cab" that has gone down rather than the drivers earnings or at least has minimised the driver's loss of earnings?
    I doubt it based on the US figures, drivers complaints all over the world, the extent to which rates are lower and my suspicion that uber is not the first digital business set up to enrich the little guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gun ainm View Post
    the 'sharing' economy is an interesting one - it has a lot of attractions but no-one has found a way to protect workers rights/conditions/liabilities. It appears certain though that technological change is going to see more and more of this type of enterprise, it's been mentioned already but the co-operative model is one that could work quite well.

is it unethical to use AirB&B or Uber as a consumer? I'm not sure its straightforward, I have a certain sympathy for Hibadelic's line of argument on that. I'm less than convinced there is always a straight forward relationship between price 9of service or good) and the conditions in which workers find themselves - lets not restrict this only to pay which is but one (albeit important) factor. That said it does seem likely that there is a high degree of tax evasion and worker exploitation possible as things currently stand as this new economy emerges. Of course the rise of independent workers and 'flexible' working patterns precedes all this its not really new in that sense. For example many massive employers such as Tescos and MickeyDs use zero hours contracts, even the Tate Gallery and poor old Lizzie Windsor do too. It is ubiquitous in our society and as a consumer its hard work to keep informed on who is better than their competitor (ethically).

For me the workers or alternatively the state should be exploring ways to overcome some of these issues. it can be done I think but its a tough one to lay at the door of the consumer (entirely).
    I don't see how uber is part of the sharing economy or similar to Airbnb? How do you reckon that is (serious question)?

Secondly, if it wasn't for the consumer uber would not exist. We have to take our part in this - as a libertarian you must surely agree? If we don't, then as I say, I don't see how we can complain about other economic matters, and I certainly don't see how we can argue for libertarian socialism - if we're helpless waifs that need our betters to sort out, then we should be grateful to the ruling class.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4245 Post(s)
    vCash
    Of course maybe 'normal' Edinburgh taxi prices are too high and this is bringing them to a natural supply and demand level.
    Space to let

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6657 Post(s)
    vCash
    I doubt it based on the US figures, drivers complaints all over the world, the extent to which rates are lower and my suspicion that uber is not the first digital business set up to enrich the little guy.
    Fair enough but if statements on this thread to whit that cabbies are leaving their existing companies to join Uber are to be taken at face value that would suggest that the offer is fair no?

Besides, as @Jack said, perhaps the fares were simpy too high in Edinburgh to begin with and Ubers' fares more realistic

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    I don't see how uber is part of the sharing economy or similar to Airbnb? How do you reckon that is (serious question)?

Secondly, if it wasn't for the consumer uber would not exist. We have to take our part in this - as a libertarian you must surely agree? If we don't, then as I say, I don't see how we can complain about other economic matters, and I certainly don't see how we can argue for libertarian socialism - if we're helpless waifs that need our betters to sort out, then we should be grateful to the ruling class.
    1) Uber = renting your back seat vs airb&b = renting your back room both enabled by platforms that use technology to put provider in touch with consumer - almost feckin identical imo.

2) of course that's the case, (the first bit), however I dont think that in itself counters or detracts from what I have said?
    "The old is dying and the new cannot be born. In this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms can appear"

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4421 Post(s)
    vCash
    Anyone who uses Amazon, Expedia or AppliancesOnline can't really have any gripe about folk using Uber without being a hypocrite imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6657 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    Anyone who uses Amazon, Expedia or AppliancesOnline can't really have any gripe about folk using Uber without being a hypocrite imo.
    Fair point.

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    indeed - add to that google, vodafone, ebay and tate & lyle for starters, plus almost any high-street bank and you begin to see the problem the consumer has in pursuing the ethical choice in an economy that is designed to reward the unethical/less ethical.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4421 Post(s)
    vCash
    indeed - add to that google, vodafone, ebay and tate & lyle for starters, plus almost any high-street bank and you begin to see the problem the consumer has in pursuing the ethical choice in an economy that is designed to reward the unethical/less ethical.
    Not so sure about using google or vodafone as examples...I can't think of a high street competitor to google and vodafone do employ folk on the high street.

Examples like amazon or appliancesonline of expedia specifically succeed at the expense of high street options- sometimes perceived as being more expensive to their online competition.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6534 Post(s)
    vCash
    Agreed.

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    Not so sure about using google or vodafone as examples...I can't think of a high street competitor to google and vodafone do employ folk on the high street.

Examples like amazon or appliancesonline of expedia specifically succeed at the expense of high street options- sometimes perceived as being more expensive to their online competition.
    point is that all these companies could easily be described as unethical (tax avoidance, privacy etc), I don't think high street presence is a the core of whether a business is ethical or not? to be fair this is widening the thread way beyond the scope of the OP so apologies for that.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)
    vCash
    Try about £400 plus fuel to keep a new black taxi on the road. A lot more than it would cost Wee Wullie to stick a PH plate on his Mondeo to make a few quid at weekends.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    I checked out my fare details after this thread and it turns out I had a tenner discount for joining Uber. So the real price was £21 - not far off what I would have paid a normal cab. So perhaps it's not quite the end of civilisation being predicted by some.

Juvenile Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    Try about £400 plus fuel to keep a new black taxi on the road. A lot more than it would cost Wee Wullie to stick a PH plate on his Mondeo to make a few quid at weekends.
    I heard somewhere that LTI were finished, is there any truth in that? Certainly iconic vehicles but I've been in a few tired old vehicles, to the point where I was offended to be paying their steep fares! Usually driven by men approaching retirement, however the taxis were well past retirement age! Recently got in a taxi where one of the back seats was broken and at a crazy angle. Fair enough though that these vehicles are built to last, would like to see a Monde do 1,000,000 miles and still get you to your destination without knocking out a filling.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4245 Post(s)
    vCash
    I didn't want to pick @Smurf earlier about the advertising thing. I regularly hear adverts on the wireless for black cabs and private hire. I'd never heard anything from uber.

Indeed the only stuff I'd see or heard from uber was a few stickers on the back of cars and one on a black cab in Glasgow! And of course the OP ;-)

Last night I given a beer mat from uber. Download the app, enter the code CHEERS and get your first ride upto £15 free valid till 16 November. Fill yur boots 🚓

So now I've seen advertising by them.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1) Uber = renting your back seat vs airb&b = renting your back room both enabled by platforms that use technology to put provider in touch with consumer - almost feckin identical imo.
    no they aren't. Airbnb is a way to make a bit of cash while you're away on holiday, uber driving affects livelihoods and is driving earnings down across an industry. To view these as identical is to miss everything important about them IMHO.

I don't think your comparison is right as it stands, it misses what is being consumed, which in users case is a journey and the drivers labour. Uber would be similar to Airbnb if it was a way to rent out your car to someone. The differences here are why one delivers a bit of added cash while you're away and the other deflates earnings across a sector.

2) of course that's the case, (the first bit), however I dont think that in itself counters or detracts from what I have said?
    i didn't understand why you seemed to be arguing why it was harsh to place responsibility with the consumer.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked out my fare details after this thread and it turns out I had a tenner discount for joining Uber. So the real price was £21 - not far off what I would have paid a normal cab. So perhaps it's not quite the end of civilisation being predicted by some.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...lack-cabs.html

Sorry, but the rates are substantially lower. This article is based on London, and it does vary by city, however apart from NYC it's pretty much always lower rate. Moreover there is no equivalent culture of tipping taxi drivers.

Your latest attempt to deflect here by suggesting people are being hyperbolic is more chaff. This is indeed an example of what will happen in other industries but it's not the end of civilisation - in fact for people like you in the digital industry it's probably a nice little earner.

However please let us not see you joining in with criticism of Thatcherism or wealth polarisation when others do, because that's what this is, and your choices enable it.

You are no means the only one squirming here. I guess people like to take advantage of what a liberal market brings while placing responsibility for any downside on some imaginary fat cats. As above, I think that attitude turns people into subjects, but then a lot of people want that..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Of course maybe 'normal' Edinburgh taxi prices are too high and this is bringing them to a natural supply and demand level.
    That's neo liberalism for you. I'm just surprised at the advocacy for it and from whom.

- - - Updated - - -

Up to a point although there are key differences in the model. With Amazon, say, what you set out to buy is a book (for example). Previously there were a lot of middle men in between you and the author and that has been slashed. This is still a massive problem and as I have noted before, it's creatives like authors who are likely to benefit from technology wiping out jobs.

However in uber it's not the middle man but the end provider who is being undercut, and having risk and capital outlay transferred onto them in having to provide their own car.

I also find it harder to sympathise with some of amazons victims, although this is subjective. If they were knocking out local bookshops then that would be one thing - but they are doing to waterstones and the like what they did to the little guys - and doing it while providing the reader with access to more books, not less as was the case with waterstones shaping of the market.

I haven't used Expedia or appliances online but suspect they are closed to Amazon than uber. In short though, your overall point is correct, these are all examples of that big bad capitalism we keep hearing about and they exist because of consumer choices.

It's all just so more blunt with uber where you are directly buying a persons time and labour. Taxis / uber is a beautifully transparent example of what happens when you put people in command of the choice between paying their fellow citizen a low wage or a lower one.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4245 Post(s)
    vCash
    It doesn't really matter what my views or opinions are it's a fact of life.
    Space to let

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    It doesn't really matter what my views or opinions are it's a fact of life.
    No it isn't. You could choose to use black cabs and not use uber and / or you could support black cab drivers in trying to protect their closed shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    vCash
    Sorry, quoting tricky on mobile but:

AriBNB is closer to Uber that EGB thinks. It's not just a spare bedroom / rent when yr on holiday gig anymore. People have whole businesses set up, renting out multiple flats etc. It's now big business which is affecting Traditional bnbs as well as hotels, hostels etc. (And presumably exacerbating problems in rental and first time buyer market).

I don't think a black cab comparison is fair. As cabbies keep telling us, they are a premium service (for people who like discomfort ;-). I took a conventional private hire today, same route and time of day and it was £20. So, at least for me, Uber is actually more expensive.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4245 Post(s)
    vCash
    No it isn't. You could choose to use black cabs and not use uber and / or you could support black cab drivers in trying to protect their closed shop.
    By choice I almost always travel by bus for public transport or walk! We have a car, I can't remember the last time I was in it probably a couple of months ago! Can't remember the last time I used a taxi (in the UK) either, maybe twice in the last year.

I don't think I'm the market taxi companies are looking for :-)
    Space to let

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    no they aren't. Airbnb is a way to make a bit of cash while you're away on holiday, uber driving affects livelihoods and is driving earnings down across an industry. To view these as identical is to miss everything important about them IMHO.

I don't think your comparison is right as it stands, it misses what is being consumed, which in users case is a journey and the drivers labour. Uber would be similar to Airbnb if it was a way to rent out your car to someone. The differences here are why one delivers a bit of added cash while you're away and the other deflates earnings across a sector..

you honestly think AirB&B doesnt have a displacement effect on hoteliers and their staff by undercutting their business model and driving down wages/profit? quick google suggests that in New York City alone in 1 year the 'lodging' industry and the broader economy of the city has lost 2.1 Billion dollars due to AirB&B - that includes 2800 jobs gone and over $220 million in lost taxes. IMO its a direct equivalent to Uber but we can agree to disagree if you're still not convinced.

Juvenile Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    you honestly think AirB&B doesnt have a displacement effect on hoteliers and their staff by undercutting their business model and driving down wages/profit? quick google suggests that in New York City alone in 1 year the 'lodging' industry and the broader economy of the city has lost 2.1 Billion dollars due to AirB&B - that includes 2800 jobs gone and over $220 million in lost taxes. IMO its a direct equivalent to Uber but we can agree to disagree if you're still not convinced.
    Meh these hotel jobs though are minimum wage types. I recently stayed in a modernised gothic quarter Barcelona apartment, via Airbnb and it was ace. We got a lovely apartment in a location that even the best of hotels could no beat, for £60 per night.

We live in a free market capitalist economy. Fair play if Joe public wants to rent out a room.

Premier Inn and their ilk pay poor wages. Who knows where the money goes. It ain't it's staff and it ain't the taxman, aka the public purse. They're alright. Consistent and reasonably priced but there are some outstanding bargains to be had on airbnb.

Juvenile Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    vCash
    No Uber in a Barcelona though I looked but I think there must be a legal wrangle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6657 Post(s)
    vCash
    Or you could buy a book from a shop and not from Amazon? What's the difference between people using a cheaper cab and people using a cheaper service to obtain books? Both of these activities are taking money from someones pocket so why can you support one and berate the other?

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

Mustang Loving Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1487 Post(s)
    vCash
    The bigger picture is, people are doing what they can to survive and have a wee bit spending money. The cost of living has gone through the roof and inflation has forced people to look for part time jobs like Uber. Most folks shop online and don't bother having to leave there house, plus it's cheaper. Black cabs are like dinosaurs, and can't see the writing on the wall. Things are changing, they way people operate is changing. I don't like it, but it's the way it is. The world is being taken over by huge corporations and it's only getting worse.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4245 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thinking about uber in a worldwide way here is an article from one of my favourite travelling websites. It's about a year old so doesn't include Edinburgh. There's also a link at the end to a similar article from about 4 years ago about black cabs.

Price of a 5-kilometer Uber ride in 67 cities around the world - Price of Travel
    Space to let

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4245 Post(s)
    vCash
    Uber getting kicked out of London!

Uber loses its licence to operate in London - BBC News

Could this see a house of cards collapse around the UK/world?
    Space to let

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6534 Post(s)
    vCash
    Uber getting kicked out of London!

Uber loses its licence to operate in London - BBC News

Could this see a house of cards collapse around the UK/world?
    Hope so. When BBC News 24 is full of spotty marbles in their mouth Adam Smith Institute types saying this is terrible then you know this decision is correct.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4245 Post(s)
    vCash
    More breaking news from the FT:

Uber has lost a key legal battle in the UK after a London tribunal upheld a ruling that the ride-hailing app must treat its drivers as “workers” who are entitled to the minimum wage and holiday pay.

The decision by the employment tribunal appeal is another blow to Uber in the UK, which has been embroiled in several battles in its most important European market. It is also fighting to keep its licence to operate in London after the regulator Transport for London threatened to remove it.
    Space to let

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4421 Post(s)
    vCash
    I've used Uber a wee bit this year, in Marseille on a stag trip where other options simply weren't, eh, options. Had a wee devils advocate chat with tricky in the pub a couple of weeks ago about any kind of pros to Uber, and whilst I was attempting to justify it, really couldn't.

I've also tried to use GETT in Edinburgh and it's pretty rubbish. Taxis taking ages to arrive, taxis being cancelled and Central taxis being generally rubbish, so if anyone can suggest a fast black firm that a decent that would be good.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6534 Post(s)
    vCash
    Used GETT and thought it was excellent? Surprised to hear of poor service from Central.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4421 Post(s)
    vCash
    Used GETT and thought it was excellent? Surprised to hear of poor service from Central.
    Tried to use GETT last Thursday, nearest taxi to great junction street showing was on the bridges?! That was about 3 in the afternoon. There was, as usual, plenty joes outside.

Central have mucked up the last 2 taxis I've phoned for from my house, neither at peak times but having to wait 30 minutes for taxi or getting calls back from central asking if it's urgent my cab arrives is pretty poor. I think they've become too big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6657 Post(s)
    vCash
    I've used Uber a wee bit this year, in Marseille on a stag trip where other options simply weren't, eh, options. Had a wee devils advocate chat with tricky in the pub a couple of weeks ago about any kind of pros to Uber, and whilst I was attempting to justify it, really couldn't.

I've also tried to use GETT in Edinburgh and it's pretty rubbish. Taxis taking ages to arrive, taxis being cancelled and Central taxis being generally rubbish, so if anyone can suggest a fast black firm that a decent that would be good.
    I use capital cars
    They take you in to taxi heaven
    Dial 777 7777

I'm not influenced by advertising in any way

PS. I find them to be completely reliable.

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6534 Post(s)
    vCash
    Tried to use GETT last Thursday, nearest taxi to great junction street showing was on the bridges?! That was about 3 in the afternoon. There was, as usual, plenty joes outside.

Central have mucked up the last 2 taxis I've phoned for from my house, neither at peak times but having to wait 30 minutes for taxi or getting calls back from central asking if it's urgent my cab arrives is pretty poor. I think they've become too big.
    That's unacceptable. I hope you complained. From my experience Central would take it seriously.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    414 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    I use capital cars
    They take you in to taxi heaven
    Dial 777 7777

I'm not influenced by advertising in any way

PS. I find them to be completely reliable.
    I’ve used them loads too Dub. The app is pretty good. Used to give you a discount if you mentioned Hibs!
    "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6657 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Kev View Post
    I’ve used them loads too Dub. The app is pretty good. Used to give you a discount if you mentioned Hibs!
    You still get a discount but I usually give it back to the driver because part of the discount comes out their wages.

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

GoGO Back To Forum