Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back, and we are back in second place….

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back, and we are back in second place….

Hibernian 3 St Mirren 1

Over 10,000 fans turned up, no doubt to see the return of the most welcome Anthony Stokes but it was another dodger loanee who starred, with a fine performance from the back to form Liam Henderson, my fellow West Lothian Green was very good today and was a deserved man of the match from the 12th man.

More changes today with the injury to Dylan, we miss Dylan when he is out, he makes us tick, without him our pace slows. Dom Malonga also dropped out for Chris Dagnall and Liam Henderson was back in for the off form Keatings and finally David Gray was back at right back, a bit hard on Darren McGregor who had played well at Falkirk last week, but good to see David back. For me , we played a slightly strange 1 4 2 2 2 formation, no sure it worked, but one or two of youngsters worked and it was those players that complemented the strange formation.

We played at a higher pace than recently in the first half and if we didn’t fritter so many chances, over pass and the two wee strikers simply took a shot, we would have been comfortable by half time. What we did see was a smashing goal from Liam Henderson, a well worked goal from John McGinn and in those two laddies, we saw a desire to win, and win playing good football. I though the goalie and back four played well, not sure of Oxleys positioning at their well taken free kick goal, someone from the Famous Five may have seen it better, Fraser Fyvie blew hot and cold, he can do well when it comes off, a good pass here, a strong challenge there, often followed by a misplaced pass, or a poor first touch. Big Marv was poor I thought, he is slow of thinking and drags the pace down, the attack just didnae work today until Anthony Stokes of Garryowen came on.

St Mirren were better than they had been under Ihun Murray, although they clogged their way through the game much like their Herman Munster faced manager used to do for Dundee and the Huns. We played them off the pitch but whilst we won 3-1, we were not comfortable until we scored a late third. I hope Tony gets into the swing of things quickly, as he will score those missing goals, he looks lean, he was papping them in the net in the warm up.

The players

Mark Oxley done like he does most weeks nowadays, he is a good goalie these days and rarely makes a mistake, no sure about the positioning at the goal, but he is awfy for slowing things doon and time wasting.

Gray came back and had a solid performance, it’s good to see Hibernian having such quality that we have to bench Darren McGregor.

Paul Hanlon strolled through the game, generally does and looks like the player many of us felt he could be. One punter behind me complimented Paul’s touch and turn first half by saying “Pat Stanton is back”. I am not saying he is Pat Stanton, not by any means, but he has become a graceful but strong centre half, who has a fine touch and good ability.

Liam Fontaine played well today, he just needs to learn to head a ball properly in the opposition box, but then I said the same last and every week.

Lewis Stevenson was not as good last week but played well.

Fyvie is a funny one, I said that last week after his in and out performance, he does so much well, then gives two or three easy passes away, he still gets into my team every week as I expect much, much more from him.

John McGinn ignored that daft left winger role for much of the game and we are the better for it, following good work from Cummings, he took his goal very well, and he interplayed well with Henderson, and later in the game with Stokesy and Keatings, even when those black and white striped fandans tried to hurt him.

Dylan McGeoch didnae play today, we missed him. I stuck him in the first 11,just to make that point.

Liam Henderson was very good first half, smashing 22 yard free kick, he improved even more second half and had probably his second best performance in a Hibernian shirt, bettered only by his performance against St Midden last Autumn. I hope Liam choses to stay with us, he is a proper fitba player.

Chris Dagnall worked hard but I felt today he seemed a bit lost, given he looked to have something about him at Raith and last week in Falkirk when he came on. I reckon he will get us goals.

Cummings didnae have his best game, that is allowed.

Subs

Anthony Stokes came on a to a rapturous welcome back, for a player who is liked by the Thellick fans, but clearly not by their management, it must have been good to ”feel the love” again, the Hibernian fans welcome him back with gusto. Tony will score us goals, he will make us oohh and ahh, he will get us up, he will get a place at the European Championships and go with our blessing, I am chuffed to see this laddie back in original green. My pal, fitbalista and fellow Hibby suggested that the difference between a young striker like Young Jason and an established one like Tony Stokes is Stokes knows where to be to score goals. Welcome back mac, we are delighted to have you back, go do your job, make yourself a Hibs hero.

James Keatings has been rotten for weeks and maybe I was hard on him, others suggested he was being played out of position. They possibly had a point as he came on today, worked well with Stokes, turned the Saints right back inside out and rolled a lovely ball along the line for Stokesy to score the first of many. That is much more like it.

Darren McGregor came on with a couple of minutes to go, I suspect for nothing more than to give the Hibs Fans an opportunity to give Liam Henderson a well-earned standing ovation. I still prefer Darren to Liam Fontaine, but it’s a great place to be, where we are choosing between such a decent level of player.

No idea the refs name, but he was not hard enough on the cloggers in black and white, seen worse though. Again there was a couple of penalty situations that would be given without hesitation at the Hunnery.

The first half was better than it has been although we just dinnae score enough goals to kill pishy teams off. I suggested after last weeks game that you drop Keatings and possibly Malonga, bring Henderson back in and introduce us to our short term striker and favourite son of Erin, Anthony Stokes. You did Alan, thanks for listening pal. (I know he never guys, just kidding).

St Mirren were an average second tier team, and blootered and bashed away with limited skill. I did like the cut of number 14, Mallan who was by far their best player. Re can piss off back to Ibrox, scary faced hun that he is.

My man of the match was easy and I agree with the 12th man, stand up and collect your champagne Liam Henderson, excellent performance and attitude to prove you are part of our starting 11.

Good crowd and good noise from the Since1875 lads and lassies, you were heard through out the game from my seat nibbling a prawn sannie in the west lower.

Thanks to Livingston for sticking that mouthy gunt prick Houston on his arse and spoiling the MSN’s Hibs are third comments. Second and chasing the hundogs down. We are coming to get you, we are Hibernian FC.
    nil satis nisi optimum

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)
    vCash

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Thanks mate
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3573 Post(s)
    vCash
    Happy to hear this about Henderson. I`ve been critical of him but if he can play as you seen today, most weeks, then i`ll be happy with that. We need consistency from him. McGinn still needs to ignore orders though and play inside ;)

Stokes will terrify these defences. He`s more than just one level above these guys...he`s international quaility. Ye can "smell the fear" fae the huns. Their main transfer target went tae Leeds.

Good 'just back' as usual @1875. Thanks for that.
    I started out with nothing and i`ve still got most of it left.

" Without people, you`re nothing.." - Joe Strummer.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thought Henderson was immense today and well deserved his MoM. Stokes looked like a shark in the box, jaggy little movements looking more dangerous by far than any of our strikers have done for a long time. Looking forward to him having more game time.

After Stokes goal I was pondering how long since the last time I could relax watching Hibs play out a game with a safe lead. Probably not been as long as it seems but anyway it was a nice feeling.

And boy do we need stokes - I thought we played better today but still struggled to create chances. That changed in the second half with Henderson the catalyst.

We need to up the tempo big time to take anything off St Johnstone or the gunts though, although there'll be less parking of the bus which will help.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    I think it was the match sponsor rather than the 12th Man that chose MOTM this week.

Other than that another good read and thanks.
    Space to let

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for report as I never made it today due to that thing called work. Said to work mate this morning I felt Falkirk would slip up today and they didn't let me down. Now hopefully Morton can do us a favour and themselves on Monday by not lying down

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    Your match reports are like poetry.

;)

Keep 'em coming, with 3 points as well.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4213 Post(s)
    vCash
    Forgot to mention.

94 average heart rate 184 max.
    Space to let

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    vCash
    I thought Hibs tried to play with higher tempo today and were quite unlucky not to score another 3 or 4 goals. I have citicised Paul Hanlon in the past but he is walking through games and is head and shoulders above any forward he will come up against this season, well done Paul.

When Hibs play with width and pace it's a joy to watch and we seen that a few times today, as usual there were frustrating moments but hey, we're not Barca.

A couple of posters have stated Bartley was poor today, I kinda disagree, he is what he is, a big strong holding midfielder, he ain't going ping balls about or make sprints into the oppositions box. St Mirren are poor but he did his job fairly well I thought, opinions eh?

McGinn came onto a game but initially he looked like a player that needs rested, he is the most ungraceful left footed player I have ever seen but the lad can play when in the correct position

JC was poor I thought and guilty of trying too hard to the extent of being greedy, like1875 said, it's allowed, but not every week I should add

I enjoyed the game today, yes St M were limited but three points are three points.

LEGEND!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2248 Post(s)
    vCash
    Only couple of things I'd add.

Henderson's skill in the second half where he totally confused the defender before whipping it in was absolute quality. I think every hibs team should have a player capable of getting you on your feet with his skill, we've got a couple in this team. Second goal was a joy to watch.

Also need to credit Lewis Stevenson. At the start of the season I was moaning about his lack of crossing ability but last couple of month he's started whipping them in. Few good crossers today actually, Hanlon unlucky not to power one of them home.
    'I'd rather see my sister in a brothel than my brother in a Hearts scarf'

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The__Proclaimer View Post

Henderson's skill in the second half where he totally confused the defender before whipping it in was absolute quality. I think every hibs team should have a player capable of getting you on your feet with his skill, we've got a couple in this team. Second goal was a joy to watch.

Also need to credit Lewis Stevenson. At the start of the season I was moaning about his lack of crossing ability but last couple of month he's started whipping them in. Few good crossers today actually, Hanlon unlucky not to power one of them home.
    I agree, good points.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    vCash
    Henderson today was a joy to watch - his deliveries (especially from corners) caused havoc. We were unlucky not to score at least another one in the second half from headers from Hanlon and Fontaine. first half I thought we could have attacked the ball in the opposition box better from set pieces.

Dagnall for me is hard working link man who gives us another option up front, I may be proved wrong but I don't think he'll get many goals, he doesn't seem to be in the positions to score often enough. Stokes on the other hand for me looked absolute class when he came on, instant first touch, always on the move in the box and got on the end of some great work from Keatings to get off the mark. He could be the final part of the jigsaw that has been missing ( i think we create loads but just fail to convert them). Regardless as mark mentioned it's tremendous to have options in so many positions in the team. Stubbs has built the best squad we've had in a long time at ER, it a matter of picking the right horses or courses for the rest of the season imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    949 Post(s)
    vCash
    good read gents

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2461 Post(s)
    vCash
    Hibs should have had the game well won by half-time they were so far ahead of St Mirren in terms of quality. One or two of the Saints players caught my eye, Mallan in particular and that was a superb free-kick he scored just before half-time, Oxley had no chance IMO. It was shoddy defending which led to the free-kick being given away in the first place and the guy took it very well. It also gave them a lift going into the second half but Hibs had numerous chances to finish them off in the second half..it was getting very frustrating and it was a huge relief to see Anthony Stokes score the crucial third goal after some superb individual work from Keatings.

I thought Stevenson was tremendous...his work rate and tackling were first class and he is always available for pass. I like that in a player. Hanlon strolled through the game and looks like he has came on leaps and bounds this season although I accept he is not up against top players every week. Henderson was superb and that was a magnificent free-kick goal. John McGinn, despite being wasted totally on the left flank, came onto a game and his goal was the end product of a superb team move. Cummings just had one of those days today...he tries too hard at times and I wish he just had a wee bit more composure about him. His contribution so far this season though has been immense. I thought we missed Dylan McGeoch's drive, skill, and attacking runs from midfield, I hope he plays next Saturday.

I thought the third goal was never going to come and I feared St Mirren getting an unwarranted equaliser, but thankfully we got a goal in the end. Stokes in the short period he was on looked a class above. His touches and positional and link-up play were excellent and like all great strikers he had read the move ahead and was in the right place at the right time to score. That's the first time I've seen Chris Dagnall play...his movement was excellent and he works hard but like others have said I don't get the impression he is going to be a regular goalscorer for us. I hope he goes on to prove me wrong though.

It goes without saying that next Saturdays semi-final at Tynecastle is going to be a very difficult game. St Johnstone might be going through a rough spell at the moment but they are a very well drilled and hard working side who play as a compact team, and they have a very tactically astute manager. I've said before IMO the cups are very much secondary in importance this year for us, but I really hope we turn up next week and give it a real go for the sake of the many Hibs fans who will be there. We certainly have a chance of winning, but we are going to have to be at the top of our game if we are going to win.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 24-01-16 at 10:01.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    606 Post(s)
    vCash
    My Barnsley mates said that Dagnall doesn't score many but he's a grafter - very industrious and causes real problems for defences.

Sent by telepathy.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6340 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Mark Oxley done like he does most weeks nowadays, he is a good goalie these days and rarely makes a mistake, no sure about the positioning at the goal, but he is awfy for slowing things doon and time wasting.

The wall was poorly positioned.
    Oxley seemed to have the wall covering the left side, or very nearly. He then positioned toward the left too.
    The free kick that beat him was on target for the goal (fcukin obviously) but hardly in the corner and should have been an easy save.

Several excellent 'saves' by Clangers and co. including three goal line clearances from alert defenders.

That fcuker is a bombscare in goals wherever he plays, apart from ER. He always has a good game here.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3573 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Barone View Post
    Henderson today was a joy to watch - his deliveries (especially from corners) caused havoc. We were unlucky not to score at least another one in the second half from headers from Hanlon and Fontaine. first half I thought we could have attacked the ball in the opposition box better from set pieces.

Dagnall for me is hard working link man who gives us another option up front, I may be proved wrong but I don't think he'll get many goals, he doesn't seem to be in the positions to score often enough. Stokes on the other hand for me looked absolute class when he came on, instant first touch, always on the move in the box and got on the end of some great work from Keatings to get off the mark. He could be the final part of the jigsaw that has been missing ( i think we create loads but just fail to convert them). Regardless as mark mentioned it's tremendous to have options in so many positions in the team. Stubbs has built the best squad we've had in a long time at ER, it a matter of picking the right horses or courses for the rest of the season imo.
    He scored the day. Debut. I think that vindicates this part of your opinion
    I started out with nothing and i`ve still got most of it left.

" Without people, you`re nothing.." - Joe Strummer.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6484 Post(s)
    vCash
    As above I thought Lewis today was exceptional. Love the guy.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash

Agreed. My wee man was on his feet babbling about Cruyff, which is perhaps a bit of an overstatement but I was quietly proud of ten year old football-rain-man's grasp of football history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6340 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    Agreed. My wee man was on his feet babbling about Cruyff, which is perhaps a bit of an overstatement but I was quietly proud of ten year old football-rain-man's grasp of football history.
    Has he only got one foot?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    Has he only got one foot?
    Took me a while to figure out that one Doc

Atlanta Hibs Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    584 Post(s)
    vCash
    Care to enlighten me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6340 Post(s)
    vCash
    Nothing to be ashamed of.
    Anyone who readily understands my posts probably needs a bit of therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Care to enlighten me?
    Fcuk off.

You got it right away.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2466 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Shrink View Post
    The wall was poorly positioned.
    Oxley seemed to have the wall covering the left side, or very nearly. He then positioned toward the left too.
    The free kick that beat him was on target for the goal (fcukin obviously) but hardly in the corner and should have been an easy save.

Several excellent 'saves' by Clangers and co. including three goal line clearances from alert defenders.

That fcuker is a bombscare in goals wherever he plays, apart from ER. He always has a good game here
    Were you sitting behind us in FF lower? We had exactly this conversation yesterday. Thought Oxley was hardly bothered yesterday, due tae a mixture of good defending and St Middens crappiness. But the goal... I thought he should have done better. The foul by Fontaine, I think, was a bit soft tae, McGinn got similarly fouled no long after and we never got that, prompting thoughts of the refs conspiracy against us again.
    Oh and thats game 10 in the return to the fold and still unbeaten.
    Great report @1875

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybilly View Post
    Were you sitting behind us in FF lower? We had exactly this conversation yesterday. Thought Oxley was hardly bothered yesterday, due tae a mixture of good defending and St Middens crappiness. But the goal... I thought he should have done better. The foul by Fontaine, I think, was a bit soft tae, McGinn got similarly fouled no long after and we never got that, prompting thoughts of the refs conspiracy against us again.
    Oh and thats game 10 in the return to the fold and still unbeaten.
    Great report @1875
    Grassyarse Billy, it was Bartley who committed the foul.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    vCash
    Great match report @1875 always look forward to reading these when stuck in the middle of the North Sea, Top Job

Spoke with my auld man and he states very similar on how everyone performed and also that there was a marked improvement with Henderson on from the start.
    Also spoke with my daughter (15 going on 16) she said "it was cold" and probably spent most of the afternoon staring at Cummings's nuts or hair or whatever

To be honest she is as much use as tits on fish when it comes to a match report......

Anyway I had better get on with some work, thanks again GGTTH

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2466 Post(s)
    vCash
    Grassyarse Billy, it was Bartley who committed the foul.
    It was indeed bud, in my defence I'm a daft ****
    Last edited by SKII; 24-01-16 at 10:11. Reason: smiley code error fix

Think I might nip over to Gorgie Farm and count some Chickens before they've hatched

Sunshine on Leith

Have to say i'm the same as you RE: Stevenson's crossing and all round play for that matter, but just in case my memory is fading quicker than i'm thinking, wasn't the two crosses for Hanlon the first one being a good save from Langfeild and the second booted of the line not provided from Henderson on our right?

LEGEND!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2248 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine on Leith View Post
    Have to say i'm the same as you RE: Stevenson's crossing and all round play for that matter, but just in case my memory is fading quicker than i'm thinking, wasn't the two crosses for Hanlon the first one being a good save from Langfeild and the second booted of the line not provided from Henderson on our right?
    Aye they came from the right, that's why I added an extra sneaky 'r' to make it crossers rather than crosses.

Think hibs have been guilty in the past of trying to walk into the net from the middle, these whipped balls are giving us another option. As 1875 constantly points out I just wish fontaine would practice his offensive headers, every nod at goal is a clearance.
    'I'd rather see my sister in a brothel than my brother in a Hearts scarf'

Sunshine on Leith
    Aye they came from the right, that's why I added an extra sneaky 'r' to make it crossers rather than crosses.

Think hibs have been guilty in the past of trying to walk into the net from the middle, these whipped balls are giving us another option. As 1875 constantly points out I just wish fontaine would practice his offensive headers, every nod at goal is a clearance.
    Got you! The eye sight is fading quicker then my memory.

radge grandad radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2466 Post(s)
    vCash

He stuck one over the bar from 3 ft yesterday.
    Last edited by SKII; 24-01-16 at 12:17. Reason: quote code error fix

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)
    vCash
    Finally got someone who can score tap ins in Tony, thought Henderson was great would have won last week if he'd started but great today.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash

I wont stop until Fontaine starts heading them properly, or gets out the way and lets Paul Hanlon do the heeding in the opposition box from dead balls.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2022 Post(s)
    vCash
    I enjoyed yesterday. Nice and mild, decent atmos and some lovely fitba too. Oxley is still making the same mistakes regarding free kicks. Improved greatly in all other goalie aspects so hoping this part of his game will eventually improve too. Hanlon in that first half was absolutely superb. Most impressed. Lewis is a machine. Hendo was just barry.MOTM was deserved and his goal was a peach. In fact all our goals were great. Smashing free kick for the 1st, great interplay from Cummings & McGinn for the 2nd and Keatings ripping the pish oot the defender then laying it on a plate for Stokes. Magic! I thought Fyvie was everywhere. This guy never hides and never gie's up. Tenacity, I like it. Stokes from the first minute just oozed fitba class. This guy could find space on a Calcutta train. Many goals are gonna come from him. Bang!

Stubbs' subs were perfect and the crowd is slowly nudging upwards....Very nice day Hibs. Ta.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    Hibs should have had the game well won by half-time they were so far ahead of St Mirren in terms of quality. One or two of the Saints players caught my eye, Mallan in particular and that was a superb free-kick he scored just before half-time, Oxley had no chance IMO. It was shoddy defending which led to the free-kick being given away in the first place and the guy took it very well. It also gave them a lift going into the second half but Hibs had numerous chances to finish them off in the second half..it was getting very frustrating and it was a huge relief to see Anthony Stokes score the crucial third goal after some superb individual work from Keatings.

I thought Stevenson was tremendous...his work rate and tackling were first class and he is always available for pass. I like that in a player. Hanlon strolled through the game and looks like he has came on leaps and bounds this season although I accept he is not up against top players every week. Henderson was superb and that was a magnificent free-kick goal. John McGinn, despite being wasted totally on the left flank, came onto a game and his goal was the end product of a superb team move. Cummings just had one of those days today...he tries too hard at times and I wish he just had a wee bit more composure about him. His contribution so far this season though has been immense. I thought we missed Dylan McGeoch's drive, skill, and attacking runs from midfield, I hope he plays next Saturday.

I thought the third goal was never going to come and I feared St Mirren getting an unwarranted equaliser, but thankfully we got a goal in the end. Stokes in the short period he was on looked a class above. His touches and positional and link-up play were excellent and like all great strikers he had read the move ahead and was in the right place at the right time to score. That's the first time I've seen Chris Dagnall play...his movement was excellent and he works hard but like others have said I don't get the impression he is going to be a regular goalscorer for us. I hope he goes on to prove me wrong though.

It goes without saying that next Saturdays semi-final at Tynecastle is going to be a very difficult game. St Johnstone might be going through a rough spell at the moment but they are a very well drilled and hard working side who play as a compact team, and they have a very tactically astute manager. I've said before IMO the cups are very much secondary in importance this year for us, but I really hope we turn up next week and give it a real go for the sake of the many Hibs fans who will be there. We certainly have a chance of winning, but we are going to have to be at the top of our game if we are going to win.
    Like Marks post good report on game. Just my opinion game,would've liked to have seenStubbs try Hanlon in Bartleys poition as Bartley imo just a chess piece today. McGregor take up beside Fontaine. Not convinced yet by Dagnall although a hard worker. Wouldve had Stokes on a lot earlier.(? Fitness) like what i'm seeing bring it on!!! GGTTH

Sunshine on Leith
    Quote Originally Posted by GIBBY NEWTON View Post
    Like Marks post good report on game. Just my opinion game,would've liked to have seenStubbs try Hanlon in Bartleys poition as Bartley imo just a chess piece today. McGregor take up beside Fontaine. Not convinced yet by Dagnall although a hard worker. Wouldve had Stokes on a lot earlier.(? Fitness) like what i'm seeing bring it on!!! GGTTH
    He tried that a few weeks ago Gibby and have to say it was a waste. Hanlon should always be the first choice CB.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5547 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine on Leith View Post
    He tried that a few weeks ago Gibby and have to say it was a waste. Hanlon should always be the first choice CB.
    I agree.
    nil satis nisi optimum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6340 Post(s)
    vCash
    I do too.

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash
    I wont stop until Fontaine starts heading them properly, or gets out the way and lets Paul Hanlon do the heeding in the opposition box from dead balls.
    I was talking to an old friend last night who stays out in the sticks so I dont see him often, turns out he knows Fonts. He asked if he was a decent player and I said he's ok but deary fukking me he needs to learn how to direct headers at goal when he goes up front. He promised to pass the info on to him
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    vCash
    Yes i agree with you both Hanlon best at CB,did'nt word my post very well. I was really only talking about yesterdays game & imo Bartley was just not in it at all. We didnt have anyone on bench who could have taken Bartleys position. I though Hanlons recent outing in holding position better/quicker in going forward was'nt a total waste certainly better than what we seen. Anyway just my opinion. Hopefully Bartley more prominent next time out.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes i agree with you both Hanlon best at CB,did'nt word my post very well. I was really only talking about yesterdays game & imo Bartley was just not in it at all. We didnt have anyone on bench who could have taken Bartleys position. I though Hanlons recent outing in holding position better/quicker in going forward was'nt a total waste certainly better than what we seen. Anyway just my opinion. Hopefully Bartley more prominent next time out.

Since 1875

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    vCash

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    Who had the cheeky back heal on the McGinn goal?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1780 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by panic at the ba View Post
    Who had the cheeky back heal on the McGinn goal?
    Liam Henderson

good to see a couple of midfielders chipping in with goals yesterday
    until the sky turns green

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    557 Post(s)
    vCash

Red face Sportscene tonight

Goal of the season for Hendo??

Stokesie got a short interview at the end; he has great admiration for Stubbsie and the players.

Looking forward to the next few weeks; Jambos are no great shakes. Let's beat them with football.

St. Johnstone were no great shakes against Thellick, are beatable and going through a mini-dip. We'll still need to pull something out of the hat to win; piece of magic? McGinn, Cummings Stokesy? Keatings looked a bit better in the box. Can't wait tickets coming the morn, all-inclusive bar hic!

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    Liam Henderson

good to see a couple of midfielders chipping in with goals yesterday
    That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.

Just beautiful buildup one that goal.

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    vCash
    Great pass from Stevenson to Keatings for the 3rd goal btw.
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

GoGO Back To Forum