Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4713 Post(s)
    vCash

Alex Miller on Hibs - Archigol anecdote

This is extracted from a fuller article on the Scotsman website that has a whole lot of Mordor stuff at the start that nobody will want to read. I've copied and pasted the Hibs part of an interview with Alex Miller. The reason is the story about Archibald at Tynie...and how history might have been so different if BF hadn't locked the rest of the players out of the toilets.

"Miller was never truly loved by the entire Hibs support and the problem for some was his Rangers background. What did these fans think he was doing at Easter Road – scheming for his old club as a mole? In hindsight, he thinks he should have revealed he had no money. “I had guys on £350 a week when Hearts were paying [Pasquale] Bruno £4000. After we won the Skol Cup, I said to Tom Farmer: ‘Give me £5 million and I’ll split the Old Firm’. ‘I don’t think so’, he said. In my last three years at the club, my net spend was just £40,000.”

Other supporters thought his tactics didn’t allow for much flair but Miller points out he didn’t have Turnbull’s Tornadoes at his disposal and that, in any case, he brought many more attack-minded players to the club than defenders, including Keith Wright, Darren Jackson, Michael O’Neill and Steve Archibald, with the latter prompting a wry smile.

“A great player, but Alex Ferguson and Archie Knox warned me he’d be aye chapping on my door wanting a wage rise. In the office at Aberdeen they had what they called ‘Archie’s chair’ because he was sat in it most days. He told me he had to be the best-paid at Hibs so I gave him £601, which made him the highest by a quid, and generally we got on okay, but there was a wee problem in an Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle when he wanted to come off. He went to the toilets at half-time and I told my staff: ‘Don’t let anyone else in here.’ He wasn’t injured. I told him folk would think he was a coward. ‘Get back out there and make yourself a hero’, I said. He grumped but he did it. He scored and we won.” Why didn’t Miller relate how he once played the second half with a bust jaw? “Because I’m not a self-publicist!” he laughs. Nevertheless, he’s given a good account of himself today".

Hibs are standing on the brink of history...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2499 Post(s)
    vCash
    I liked Alex Miller and maintain to this day that he was an excellent manager for Hibs.
    He stayed too long in the job, but then so did Eddie Turnbull.
    His record in the transfer market was outstanding and he won Hibs our first trophy in 19 years.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

LEGEND!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2248 Post(s)
    vCash
    No hibs manager who fails to beat hearts in 22 attempts can ever be described as 'excellent'.

His transfers are described as outstanding but all the best players Archibald, Wright, McCloud, Jackson, O'Neill, McAllister, Leighton were already well established in the Premier League and he never signed a solitary player from outside Britain or Ireland in his entire tenure. That's madness. A dinosaur attitude that was dead in the water post-bosman. Signed Goram from nowhere and got big bucks but that was his only example of a hit like that in a decade. Credit due for working within a tight budget but you get the impression if he was given 100 million to spend he'd still be scouting the Dundee clubs for his next signing.
    'I'd rather see my sister in a brothel than my brother in a Hearts scarf'

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3978 Post(s)
    vCash
    Given some of the $#@!e thats followed him, I'm always amazed at the amount of stick Miller gets tbh lol
    How many Hibernian managers have won a trophy?

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    vCash
    [QUOTEHow many Hibernian managers have won a trophy?[/QUOTE]That hits the nail on the head
    "history is the foundation upon which the future is built"

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3185 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eckmf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [QUOTEHow many Hibernian managers have won a trophy?
    That hits the nail on the head[/QUOTE]

How many managers couldny beat the gunts in 22 games...
    GGTTH

Radge Private Member

as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)
    vCash
    He often mentioned that the Hibs fans wouldn't take to him, but he didn't really help himself either. He wore a maroon sweatshirt on matchdays for about 3 years
    He was one dour character.

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6429 Post(s)
    vCash
    Created a great song song atmosphere never heard since.

Hello hello Miller must go Miller must go.

He signed some great players for Hibs, but for much of the time the coaching of turgid pish tactics rivalled Bertie Auld, although Old $#@! Face never threw cigars around.

To be honest I never gave a fcuk that he was an ex-Hun and neither did the many guys that used to go along with me. The anti- Hun 'tirades' that apparently we were all obsessed with were simply an early indicator of the Traynor/Jackshun spin.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6578 Post(s)
    vCash
    Not the worst manager and I particularly enjoyed the 1991-1995 period. However in THAT 22 game run FFS we went SEVEN games not scoring against the Gunts. He then went on telly 'Sport in Question' IIRC and he had the cheek to say "...we've never been tactically out thought against them" Aye. Good. One.

Donator

am out there jerry an am lovin every minute of it!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tayside hibee View Post
    He often mentioned that the Hibs fans wouldn't take to him, but he didn't really help himself either. He wore a maroon sweatshirt on matchdays for about 3 years
    He was one dour character.
    this is partly it i think a relationship is a 2-way street and he never seemed tae endear himsel it seemed, he was at the club long enough yet he never seemed tae bother though i can only comment as a terrace fan and no someone who was involved closely wi the club or team so he may have been a different fish

mogadon miller was how i can mind of him due tae the style of play the team had though tbf hibs were skint, financially mismanaged, skint again and also financially restrained durin his tenure and we were $#@!e maist of the time but that had been in place well before he strolled up

in relation tae the OP the archibald 'god' days were some of the best fitba i can mind of us playin funnily enough

SAOR ALBA

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2499 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The__Proclaimer View Post
    No hibs manager who fails to beat hearts in 22 attempts can ever be described as 'excellent'.

His transfers are described as outstanding but all the best players Archibald, Wright, McCloud, Jackson, O'Neill, McAllister, Leighton were already well established in the Premier League and he never signed a solitary player from outside Britain or Ireland in his entire tenure. That's madness. A dinosaur attitude that was dead in the water post-bosman. Signed Goram from nowhere and got big bucks but that was his only example of a hit like that in a decade. Credit due for working within a tight budget but you get the impression if he was given 100 million to spend he'd still be scouting the Dundee clubs for his next signing.
    Alex Miller left Hibs in 1996..only a year after the Bosman ruling came into effect so I think it's a bit unfair to criticise the man for having a "dinosaur" attitude towards it when he only had his last year in charge to use it in any shape or form. As I said I thought he remained in the job too long mainly due to his strong working relationship with then chairman Dougie Cromb, but in my opinion his transfer dealings were almost always spot-on and improved the team considerably. He brought many fine players to Easter Road and most of them were fine attacking players. The team we had from 1991 to 1995 was excellent and won a trophy and got to the final again two years later when we had arguably a better team. If you also factor in that he was in charge during one of the club's biggest ever crisis and helped to hold things together I think he deserves credit for that. When you have a pair of crooks like Duff and Gray as your bosses and you still manage to keep the footballing side of things together, then that was an achievement in itself. He was also by all accounts an excellent coach...a club the size of Liverpool doesn't take you on as first-team coach if you are not top drawer in that field.

I know he could be a dour bugger...but (and this is only a personal opinion) I don't give a toss about a manager's personality or how they come across in the media. It's how he does his job that matters to me. I met the guy a few times over the ten years he was at ER at various POTY nights and social events and he was always willing to discuss football matters with the fans...although he didn't like being contradicted. He also treated the club's money as if it were his own and only wanted value for money in the transfer market. I remember once asking him at a function in the late 80's if he would sign Keith Wright from Dundee...he replied that he would love to sign Keith, but wasn't willing to spend the £800,000 Dundee were asking for him at the time. We got Keith a few years later for half that amount.

Regarding his derby record I agree it was poor. One or two things have to be taken into account though and I know I am going to get many fans disagreeing with me again on this. For much of the time Miller was at Hibs, Hearts were simply a better team than us. They certainly were for most of the 1980's and up till around 1992. They knew how to handle the derbies and they had a phenomenal goalscorer who won many derbies on his own for them...we didn't have anybody with that prowess in front of goal. From 1991 to 1995 we had a better team than Hearts and lo and behold we won quite a few derbies in that time. To be honest, and once again I know this is not a common viewpoint among many Hibs fans, I have never based an opinion on any Hibs manager on how his record is in derbies. For me it is always how high up the league we finish, how we improve our league position year after year, and how many trophies we win.

Miller lost the plot in his last couple of years at the club, and he should have left around 1993 or 1994, but as I have said he was allowed to plough on too long to his and the club's detriment. When you see what followed after Miller I think it put's his abilities as a manager into proper perspective.
    Last edited by Greenmachine; 16-12-15 at 00:36.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6578 Post(s)
    vCash
    Think your comment about Duff & Gray is harsh Greenmachine. They gave Miller money to spend on players such as the calibre of Andy Goram, Neil Orr, Steve Archibald, Keith Houchen etc. Duff & Gray had many many faults but Miller wasn't hindered by them.

LEGEND!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2248 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    Alex Miller left Hibs in 1996..only a year after the Bosman ruling came into effect so I think it's a bit unfair to criticise the man for having a "dinosaur" attitude towards it when he only had his last year in charge to use it in any shape or form. As I said I thought he remained in the job too long mainly due to his strong working relationship with then chairman Dougie Cromb, but in my opinion his transfer dealings were almost always spot-on and improved the team considerably. He brought many fine players to Easter Road and most of them were fine attacking players. The team we had from 1991 to 1995 was excellent and won a trophy and got to the final again two years later when we had arguably a better team. If you also factor in that he was in charge during one of the club's biggest ever crisis and helped to hold things together I think he deserves credit for that. When you have a pair of crooks like Duff and Gray as your bosses and you still manage to keep the footballing side of things together, then that was an achievement in itself. He was also by all accounts an excellent coach...a club the size of Liverpool doesn't take you on as first-team coach if you are not top drawer in that field.

I know he could be a dour bugger...but (and this is only a personal opinion) I don't give a toss about a manager's personality or how they come across in the media. It's how he does his job that matters to me. I met the guy a few times over the ten years he was at ER at various POTY nights and social events and he was always willing to discuss football matters with the fans...although he didn't like being contradicted. He also treated the club's money as if it were his own and only wanted value for money in the transfer market. I remember once asking him at a function in the late 80's if he would sign Keith Wright from Dundee...he replied that he would love to sign Keith, but wasn't willing to spend the £800,000 Dundee were asking for him at the time. We got Keith a few years later for half that amount.

Regarding his derby record I agree it was poor. One or two things have to be taken into account though and I know I am going to get many fans disagreeing with me again on this. For much of the time Miller was at Hibs, Hearts were simply a better team than us. They certainly were for most of the 1980's and up till around 1992. They knew how to handle the derbies and they had a phenomenal goalscorer who won many derbies on his own for them...we didn't have anybody with that prowess in front of goal. From 1991 to 1995 we had a better team than Hearts and lo and behold we won quite a few derbies in that time. To be honest, and once again I know this is not a common viewpoint among many Hibs fans, I have never based an opinion on any Hibs manager on how his record is in derbies. For me it is always how high up the league we finish, how we improve our league position year after year, and how many trophies we win.

Miller lost the plot in his last couple of years at the club, and he should have left around 1993 or 1994, but as I have said he was allowed to plough on too long to his and the club's detriment. When you see what followed after Miller I think it put's his abilities as a manager into proper perspective.
    I'm not saying he had a dinosaur attitude to Bosman but to foreign players. I doubt there was any club in Britain who at some point played in the top flight and never had a single foreign player between 1985-1996.

I'm with you in that 'media personality' doesn't bother me too much but judging by what former players say about him he was a knob in private too.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4458 Post(s)
    vCash

Pat McGinlay.

I enjoyed watching Hibs when Millar was manager, was probably too young to cast a critical/analytical eye over proceedings but all i know is he gave me my favourite Hibs team, won a trophy, should have won another and some of the semi finals ( two at Tynie in particular) were simply brilliant days out.

LEGEND!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2248 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    Pat McGinlay.

I enjoyed watching Hibs when Millar was manager, was probably too young to cast a critical/analytical eye over proceedings but all i know is he gave me my favourite Hibs team, won a trophy, should have won another and some of the semi finals ( two at Tynie in particular) were simply brilliant days out.
    Might be one for ihibs boys but in my memory Pat was sold to Celtic for £x, became their top goalscorer for a season, immediately sold back to hibs for same fee.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1863 Post(s)
    vCash

Goram was a great signing but not exactly from nowhere..already had a few caps for Scotland iirc and cost £325k.

I wasn't a lover of Alex Miller although he did bring the club through a very challenging period culminating in the magnificent league cup win in 1991 and built another great team a year or two later.
    until the sky turns green

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
    That hits the nail on the head
    How many managers couldny beat the gunts in 22 games...[/QUOTE]I'm not as narrow minded to judge a managers capabilities on being able to beat just one team.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4458 Post(s)
    vCash
    Might be one for ihibs boys but in my memory Pat was sold to Celtic for £x, became their top goalscorer for a season, immediately sold back to hibs for same fee.

sold for circa £500K, bought back for circa £400K!

LEGEND!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2248 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    Goram was a great signing but not exactly from nowhere..already had a few caps for Scotland iirc and cost £325k.

I wasn't a lover of Alex Miller although he did bring the club through a very challenging period culminating in the magnificent league cup win in 1991 and built another great team a year or two later.
    Interesting, thought he was plucked from obscurity and got his first caps at hibs.

If you take that away then just who were the hidden gems he unearthed? Crazy to think Martin Ferguson became Man Utd's chief worldwide scout.

Also crazy to think the money that was in the game back then despite having no tv deal and low ticket prices. Of our top ten highest transfer fees I reckon around half came from the Miller era.

Edit - just seen Southfield post the fee we paid for McGinley! UDLC was bought for big bucks but can't really remember another 6 figure sum getting dished out this century.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6578 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post

We got Goram for the 325K as you say having 'missed' out on Ian Andrews a few weeks before....

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, thought he was plucked from obscurity and got his first caps at hibs.

If you take that away then just who were the hidden gems he unearthed? Crazy to think Martin Ferguson became Man Utd's chief worldwide scout.

Also crazy to think the money that was in the game back then despite having no tv deal and low ticket prices. Of our top ten highest transfer fees I reckon around half came from the Miller era.

Edit - just seen Southfield post the fee we paid for McGinley! UDLC was bought for big bucks but can't really remember another 6 figure sum getting dished out this century.
    Amazing to think in 1991 we paid out 500K to get Keith Wright. 1992 400K to get Darren Jackson. 1993 225K to get Kevin McCallister and 185K to get Michael O'Neil. Then the 400K for Pat coming back 1994.

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)
    vCash

He played for Oldham before Hibs. I've wiki'd it and it seems he played 195 games for them before heading to Hibs.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3185 Post(s)
    vCash
    How many managers couldny beat the gunts in 22 games...
    I'm not as narrow minded to judge a managers capabilities on being able to beat just one team.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but not being able to beat your biggest rivals for 22 games counts a lot for me, it's not just "one team" it was over 4 years of baw breaking torture and that was just the games....
    GGTTH

LEGEND!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2248 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    He played for Oldham before Hibs. I've wiki'd it and it seems he played 195 games for them before heading to Hibs.
    I knew he came from Oldham but I was thinking of him being a young pup in the reserve team at Oldham's current level.

Thinking back Oldham used to be a First Division/Premiership club in those days and sounds like he had 5 or 6 seasons in the first team with those stats.

Might not be unknowns but in Goram, Budgie and Leighton he definitely knew a keeper that would do a top job.

**** The Hearts

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1634 Post(s)
    vCash
    I knew he came from Oldham but I was thinking of him being a young pup in the reserve team at Oldham's current level.

Thinking back Oldham used to be a First Division/Premiership club in those days and sounds like he had 5 or 6 seasons in the first team with those stats.

Might not be unknowns but in Goram, Budgie and Leighton he definitely knew a keeper that would do a top job.
    Ronnie Simpson, Thomson Alan, Willie Wilson, Jim Herriot ditto......

GGTTH

BIG G

Sunshine on Leith
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was Oldham's GK when we played them in a pre-season friendly down there circa '88. Hibs winning 1-0 with a kano pen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6429 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GORDONSMITH7 View Post
    Ronnie Simpson, Thomson Alan, Willie Wilson, Jim Herriot ditto......

GGTTH

BIG G
    Alan Rough

Baldy radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    792 Post(s)
    vCash
    Roumour was,the tribute act offered £100k Hibs wanted £900k,tribunal set the fee at £575k ish?celtic couldn't afford it,so to save face he was transferred back to hibs as celtic couldn't make the repayments

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4276 Post(s)
    vCash
    I hate this pish that the Hibs support didn't like him because he was hun. By Christ there's a list of failings and lack of personality traits the length of Easter Road before we get to who he played for!

By the end of his first season in charge a group of about 8/10 school pals regularly going to games for years became none! I think only 3 or 4 of us ever found our way back some only after decades away.
    Space to let

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    No hibs manager who fails to beat hearts in 22 attempts can ever be described as 'excellent'
    spot on. That era cemented and acceptance of defeat and mediocrity.

Mind you the hearts wages are reminder of just what they got away with. I wonder if there's ever been an escape like it. Can't think of another club that's been as bad - in fact compared to turnover I can't think of a team that's been comparably bad - has faced a humbly that's lasted years. Arguably we are still recovering from 1990 even now.

Micro$oft Hating Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    747 Post(s)
    vCash
    Aye, watching Hibs under Miller could be painful at times and other times it was pretty good. Overall I think his record was reasonably good but he lacked the ability to push on from one year to the next, it was always a step forward, then a step back it seems. His derby record was unacceptable and an embarrassment.
    Charlie don't surf !

**** The Hearts

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1634 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BurbankHibee View Post
    Aye, watching Hibs under Miller could be painful at times and other times it was pretty good. Overall I think his record was reasonably good but he lacked the ability to push on from one year to the next, it was always a step forward, then a step back it seems. His derby record was unacceptable and an embarrassment.
    My mate Jimmy Kerr carried on regardless amigo.

BIG G

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I hate this pish that the Hibs support didn't like him because he was hun. By Christ there's a list of failings and lack of personality traits the length of Easter Road before we get to who he played for!By the end of his first season in charge a group of about 8/10 school pals regularly going to games for years became none! I think only 3 or 4 of us ever found our way back some only after decades away.
    they must have been sick to miss out on a cup final and cup win, eh? But I suppose they did what they thought was right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6429 Post(s)
    vCash
    they must have been sick to miss out on a cup final and cup win, eh? But I suppose they did what they thought was right.
    I'm sure they made the 'ultimate sacrifice' and turned up at Hampden Eck.

GoGO Back To Forum