Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Just back and it started well enough……but…

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5532 Post(s)
    vCash

Just back and it started well enough……but…

We play great football in wee tasty bits and pieces, its very easy on the eye, but we dinnae have a killer instinct.

Hibs set up to win again today, and win they did, but then we should, we were playing the butcher, baker and whisky worker. For 70 minutes we played snippets of what we pay for, lovely fitba, good moves, effort and endeavour. In a few surprise changes we saw the return of Fraser Fyvie, with Dylan McGeogh a sub for nae reason I might know, the welcome return of buzzbomb and skilful James Keatings, and no Paul Hanlon, replaced by the return of Liam Fontaine.

I mumble most weeks about how teams sit in, credit again to the Sons who tried to play football initially, all be it with the regular dirty edge, coupled with the usual hapless referee.

We started well, fitba was good and McGinn and Fyvie were ticking, with Malonga and Keatings looking keen and Jason leading the line very well. Don’t we have a strong squad, I reckon we would be top six in the top league?

We scored a couple of good goals but lost two goals due to woeful defending.

I felt we let the game dip second half yet again, the last 20 minutes were dreadful to watch and the fans let it be known by leaving in their droves before full time. Whilst we made changes at 70 minutes, they slowed us down and instead of murdering a very poor pub team, we pissed about for 20 minutes, annoying the fans and keeping the huns goal difference far superior to ours. It was awful to watch. And spoiled a decent enough first 70 minutes. Holding out against Dumbarton is not acceptable.

The players

Oxley was slow at both goals but neither were his fault. He wastes far too much time for me.

David Gray had a decent game, but then I might if I was playing Dumbarton? Major boob at their first goal, but he knew that.

Darren McGregor started again and looks like a decent player, nae nonsense, hard and one of us, that will do.

Fontaine, in for the injured Paul Hanlon. He scored a header, finally, but he roams too much and he is not half the player he was last season.

Stevenson had a decent game, but then I might if I was playing Dumbarton?

Fraser Fyvie had a surprise return and played very well before coming off after 70 minutes or so?

John McGinn played, for me, out of position again today and we lose from that decision by the management team. He is a good, hard working skilful laddie who never gives in.

Liam Henderson drifted in and out the game, if he wants to stay at Celtic or indeed get a game at Hibs, he has to do more. There are better midfielders at Easter Road, never mind Estadio Dodger.

Keatings is a good wee player an earned his standing ovation with an excellently taken team goal and all round endeavour and ability. I like this laddie, he tries to play fitba and score goals.

Jason played well, he lead the line, although his touch and passing remind me of his gorgie background. Won and took his penalty well.

Malonga – cracking 20 yarder and overall performance yet again. Dom gets better and better.

Subs

McGeogh came on for Fyvie and as ever took10 minutes to get going. I assume he was dropped as he is injured or is part of some rotation system as he has been playing well and should start every week.

Bartley for Keatings was a strange one. I get taking James off, he was just back from injury, I don’t get bring on a slow the game down central midfielder, it killed the spectacle and made the last 20 minutes tortuously slow.

Feruz came on for Jason and proceeded to do nothing. Not impressed.

Stubbsy spoiled it for me today, the last twenty was $#@!e, the goalie wasting time, the poor defending of Fontaine, the pedestrian pace of Barley, the overall $#@!eness of an otherwise decent game. We should have been going for goals and we didn’t. I left the game feeling like we have scraped a win/ drew.

The referee was as ever, useless, its became my by-line.

Dumbarton started well and then tried to scrape a draw. That is the level we now play against Hibs and why 8000 attend.

My man of the match was Fraser Fyvie for his excellent 60 minutes. He played well and wanted the ball.

I am off to the Basque Country to watch fitba, eat pinxos and chill for a week. Give my stand ins a break for the Falkirk and Rovers games.

This summary is dedicated to my pal, fellow bouncer, St Pats member and fine Hibernian, Brian in Qatar, keep the faith brother.

Glory, Glory.
    nil satis nisi optimum

An Dn Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)
    vCash
    Spot on, Mark. As always.

In a side note, I sat beside a massive guy - not too fat, just very broad-shouldered - and when you're dressed in full biker gear, it makes an uncomfortable afternoon. The match was enjoyable for large parts, but the game died after the subs. Thought Feruz didn't get much of a chance, to be honest, but he did spend a lot of time in offside when he did. Shame that.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Thanks for the excellent-as-usual write up M. A strange game, which I really enjoyed for the first 70 mins. It's so Hibs - as I posted during the game - to throw our defensive record in the bin even as we finally start clicking up front. When Keatings scored I said to the wee man that I reckoned we'd go on to get 5 or 6. My continued Hibs related naiveté is a mystery to me, especially when I thought I was a Hibs cynic.

As you say it all went pishflaps and from looking like we were about to dish out our first true horsing for many moons, we ended up looking like we were hanging on.

Still, many many positives today, but Dom's goal was important in that. I wouldn't give Dumbarton as much credit prior to that point, as it was another exercise in bus parking as I saw it. Dom's moment of genius opened up the game - and at that point Dumbarton do get some credit because even after they levelled straight away, the game was more open after that I thought.

All we need now is for us to be able to do two things at once, i.e. defend and attack.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)
    vCash
    Became pre season friendlyesque after the substitutions

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Islam Feruz has disappointed me so far, he's got that wee strutting bantam posture that suggests he thinks he's the business , but he doesn't seem to shake a leg unless it's played directly to him.

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2195 Post(s)
    vCash
    needed Hibs to win by 3 goals for my treble....almost did till them slow down subs...im not bitter still at least once we finally got in front we didnt struggle much and didnt look like losing. Silly mistakes at the back though. can only suggest that Feriz..fariz?? whichever...was not up to match sharpness after stopping the ball when he recieved it from Malonga racing in on goal

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    vCash
    I agree with most of that apart from Fyvie and Henderson. The first 20 minutes was deja vu yet again; pedestrian tippy-tappy $#@!e against a team parking the bus. Thought Fyvie looked a bit rusty after his time out and mis-placed a lot of his passes although I might have been overly influenced by Mr Shouty who sits somewhere behind us in the East and was berating Fraser from the first minute until he was substituted. I thought Henderson was one of our best players along with Keatings and Malonga. He's still young and makes mistakes, but he always tries to get involved and win the ball back when he loses it. Totally agree about the subs completely changing the game for the worse. Up to that point it looked like we could give Dumbarton a real horsing but Stubbs clearly thought the game was won; always a dangerous assumption with Hibs! I'll take the 3 points any day but we left the game feeling strangely disappointed despite scoring 4 goals.
    Pretend that you owe me nothing
    And all the world is green
    We can bring back the old days again
    And all the world is green

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3978 Post(s)
    vCash
    Spot on Mark. We really should have been trying for number 5 and 6, sends out a message as well as helping the gd!

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    vCash
    Cheers Mark. Always an informative read for far flung Hibees like myself.Much more accurate than reading the match reports .
    First league game Ive missed for 4 weeks-;)
    Surprised that McGeough didn't start as he looked our best player when I was watching.
    Maybe saving him for the 3 big games coming up and trying to rotate the squad.
    Just saw the goals. Horrendous mistake by Gray but he's allowed the odd one.
    Fontaine finally got direction on a header. He seems to get loads of chances with his napper but needs to make the most of his obvious ariel ability and bury a few of them.
    3 massive games coming up. Need something to happen to get into Sevco's smug heads. We can beat them but need other teams to grab a draw or two
    Last edited by Sproule Three; 18-10-15 at 05:08.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2457 Post(s)
    vCash
    I thought Hibs looked unsteady at the back throughout the game and lost two very bad goals. The second Dumbarton goal was awful and gave them a lift they should never have got. I thought Stubbs was a wee bit too clever for his own good both with his original team selection and substitutions. For me McGeoch should never be missing from a Hibs starting eleven and resting Hanlon just made us look shaky and uncertain at the back. Fyvie looked a bit off the pace to start with but came onto a game as did Keatings, in both cases this was understandable after long lay offs with injuries. Stubbs probably felt Dumbarton at home was a good game to rotate the squad a bit and give some players game time and I can understand that a bit, but I just felt it led to a Hibs performance that was mixed IE very good in parts and poor in other parts. I do think we struggle to defend set-pieces and that concerns me with two very tricky but vitally important away matches coming up.

On a positive note I thought Malonga had a great game and scored another superb goal, Keatings finish was superb for his goal and at times we played some great one touch football. I really hope our defensive display was just a bad day at the office though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Islam Feruz has disappointed me so far, he's got that wee strutting bantam posture that suggests he thinks he's the business , but he doesn't seem to shake a leg unless it's played directly to him.
    I wonder just how many first team games this lad has actually played when he has been loaned out to so many clubs ? He looks very raw and a bit out of his depth to be honest. No doubt he must have talent as he seems to be highly rated by many respected people in the game, I just hope we see some evidence of his much talked about ability as the season goes on. Still early days and his injury won't have helped him.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Mental Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)
    vCash
    Spot on yet again, couldn't agree more.

Thought Oxley could've done better for the first goal admittedly, tried to save it with his feet rather than his hands. Agree on the time wasting part though, drives me insane.

Hopefully I can give half as good a review on Tuesday night for the Falkirk game.

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5532 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeitchyHFC1875 View Post
    Spot on yet again, couldn't agree more.

Thought Oxley could've done better for the first goal admittedly, tried to save it with his feet rather than his hands. Agree on the time wasting part though, drives me insane.

Hopefully I can give half as good a review on Tuesday night for the Falkirk game.
    I will look on in hope and interest from a pintxos bar in Donostia mate. Real Soceidad lost to Atletico de Madrid today, full house of 40k in a city of 200k. One to think about Hibs although ticket prices were mental?
    nil satis nisi optimum

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6626 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
    I thought Hibs looked unsteady at the back throughout the game and lost two very bad goals. The second Dumbarton goal was awful and gave them a lift they should never have got. I thought Stubbs was a wee bit too clever for his own good both with his original team selection and substitutions. For me McGeoch should never be missing from a Hibs starting eleven and resting Hanlon just made us look shaky and uncertain at the back. Fyvie looked a bit off the pace to start with but came onto a game as did Keatings, in both cases this was understandable after long lay offs with injuries. Stubbs probably felt Dumbarton at home was a good game to rotate the squad a bit and give some players game time and I can understand that a bit, but I just felt it led to a Hibs performance that was mixed IE very good in parts and poor in other parts. I do think we struggle to defend set-pieces and that concerns me with two very tricky but vitally important away matches coming up.

On a positive note I thought Malonga had a great game and scored another superb goal, Keatings finish was superb for his goal and at times we played some great one touch football. I really hope our defensive display was just a bad day at the office though.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder just how many first team games this lad has actually played when he has been loaned out to so many clubs ? He looks very raw and a bit out of his depth to be honest. No doubt he must have talent as he seems to be highly rated by many respected people in the game, I just hope we see some evidence of his much talked about ability as the season goes on. Still early days and his injury won't have helped him.
    Perhaps Stubbs felt the team he selected would be good enough to beat Dumbarton but give him the chance to see what the team looked like without them. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    819 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Perhaps Stubbs felt the team he selected would be good enough to beat Dumbarton but give him the chance to see what the team looked like without them. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit
    Stubbs must know that McGeoch's pretty much the main man in the team. He might have had a wee niggle we didn't know about or, as you've hinted, wanted to see how we'd do without him, especially considering Dumbarton was the easiest game of the first four after the international break. Remember; we've got Falkirk, Raith and "Rangers" coming up.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3978 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    Stubbs must know that McGeoch's pretty much the main man in the team. He might have had a wee niggle we didn't know about or, as you've hinted, wanted to see how we'd do without him, especially considering Dumbarton was the easiest game of the first four after the international break. Remember; we've got Falkirk, Raith and "Rangers" coming up.

I reckon it was just a case of keeping Dylan for the bigger games as you say

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3173 Post(s)
    vCash
    Good review as always M.
    Also agree about Fyvie, totally controlled the game, re Keatings as well, a striker we have needed for ages, instinctive and sharp, scoring that goal when his first touch was the shot is a sign of that.
    we have a squad worthy of the name now.

GGTTH

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Greenmachine;1498914]I thought Hibs looked unsteady at the back throughout the game and lost two very bad goals. The second Dumbarton goal was awful and gave them a lift they should never have got. I thought Stubbs was a wee bit too clever for his own good both with his original team selection and substitutions. For me McGeoch should never be missing from a Hibs starting eleven and resting Hanlon just made us look shaky and uncertain at the back. Fyvie looked a bit off the pace to start with but came onto a game as did Keatings, in both cases this was understandable after long lay offs with injuries. Stubbs probably felt Dumbarton at home was a good game to rotate the squad a bit and give some players game time and I can understand that a bit, but I just felt it led to a Hibs performance that was mixed IE very good in parts and poor in other parts. I do think we struggle to defend set-pieces and that concerns me with two very tricky but vitally important away matches coming up.

- - - Updated - - -

The supporters have long been crying out for a bigger squad of quality players. Now we have got one people complain about rotation - seems AS can't win. I rate McGeouch highly but we did play quite well and score 4 goals without him - and we do need to look at different formations/players so that we are ready when knocks and suspensions kick in.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    819 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MixuDave View Post
    I reckon it was just a case of keeping Dylan for the bigger games as you say
    The more I think about it, the more I reckon that was his view.

Let’s face it – this next run could define our entire season. We need to really be looking at seven of the next nine points, with nine being the target. Anything less… Well, it’ll make the rest of the season look a lot more challenging.

Radge Monthly Contributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    vCash
    Big squad with plenty competition for places, it's a long season and players do need rested after picking up minor knocks etc. Rotating some players, if done properly, can have a positive effect on individuals and team.

AS is maybe thinking along those lines, he has the luxury of being able to do so.
    Imo

GoGO Back To Forum