Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash

Scotland has been fracking for years

....the process has been used for years by Scottish water to turn peaty water clear - just been revealed on newsnight Scotland just now. And yet it will be protested where energy is at stake. Ah well.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6487 Post(s)
    vCash
    Watched this.

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    granted there is a lot of hyperbole about the supposed impacts of fracking (environmental and social) but taking a step back from the emotion for a minute

1) people are right to question and look for answers - the more nuanced of the sceptics will listen. There are legitimate questions on water pollution, methane emmissions and 'seismic events' - much of which will be case by case - in general however i think the impacts can be made 'acceptable' with rigorous regulation - the question is will they not can they?

2) given uncertainty there is no benefit to having the fracksters operate on your doorstep - i believe its Pennsylvania that requires an impact levy on fracking that sees direct benefit go to the communities affected? nothing like this would happen here - central state and fracksters share the benefit so why would anyone want fracking nearby? safer to dismiss it at hope it goes somewhere else. This needs looked at.
    "The old is dying and the new cannot be born. In this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms can appear"

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gun ainm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    granted there is a lot of hyperbole about the supposed impacts of fracking (environmental and social) but taking a step back from the emotion for a minute

1) people are right to question and look for answers - the more nuanced of the sceptics will listen. There are legitimate questions on water pollution, methane emmissions and 'seismic events' - much of which will be case by case - in general however i think the impacts can be made 'acceptable' with rigorous regulation - the question is will they not can they?

2) given uncertainty there is no benefit to having the fracksters operate on your doorstep - i believe its Pennsylvania that requires an impact levy on fracking that sees direct benefit go to the communities affected? nothing like this would happen here - central state and fracksters share the benefit so why would anyone want fracking nearby? safer to dismiss it at hope it goes somewhere else. This needs looked at.
    Pick it up later - but just on 1; in the Scottish case at least I understood the water clarification to be cosmetic rather than in response to pollution

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    Pick it up later - but just on 1; in the Scottish case at least I understood the water clarification to be cosmetic rather than in response to pollution
    sorry only referring to fracking for gas - not the water clarification process you refer to which i dont know much about although if they are doing it anywhere its probably here!
    "The old is dying and the new cannot be born. In this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms can appear"

**** The Hearts

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1611 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    ....the process has been used for years by Scottish water to turn peaty water clear - just been revealed on newsnight Scotland just now. And yet it will be protested where energy is at stake. Ah well.
    On the other hand M......

http://www.acenet.co.uk/water-snapsh...ern/628/12/1/8

Water firms warn government on fracking dangers

The government recently found the UK has more shale gas than was initially thought. This may be good news in terms of energy supply but water companies are warning of the dangers involved in getting to shale gas.

Fracking is the main method of harvesting the gas, but this can cause earthquakes if not done correctly. What the water firms are concerned about though, is the underground water supply, which could be at risk of contamination, creating a major health hazard for the country.

Water UK, which represents the sector, has drawn attention to the likelihood of contamination with methane gas and other harmful chemicals if the process is not planned properly. Utility companies have called on the shale gas industry to make sure the quality of water is protected at all costs while getting to the natural resource.

Chancellor George Osborne has said the coalition wants to create the right conditions for the industry to unlock the potential of shale gas in a way that enables communities to share in the benefits.

Water UK has claimed, however, there could be potential damage to existing pipes caused by the power of the drilling and fracturing process and water supply could become strained as the fracking process consumes a lot of water.

Published
    01 Aug 2013

BIG G

Everyone's words of support are helping me thru this. I appreciate every comment, prayer and positive thought.

Guys and girls I can't emphasise how much your words are encouraging and helping me. This battle has barely started but I know you'll be by my side every step of the way - it's giving me great strength - Shaun 16/03/2016

GoGO Back To Forum