Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: We should be the 2nd force in Scotland for the next three years.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash

We should be the 2nd force in Scotland for the next three years.

Celtic exist on a different planet from the rest of Scottish football. Whilst they seem to freeze at the moment at Hampden and this is encouraging for the rest of us, in terms of the league they are pretty untouchable.

However, It is very disappointing that we don't seem to be making a strong claim to the 2nd spot in Scotland. We have the Gunts nearly finished, and I expect them to go the Newco route, DU and Aberdeen have decent enough sides but are (slightly) smaller clubs. Sevco is a joke, as the arabs showed. Apart from them, the rest of our game is much smaller clubs who have got together a decent squad (St J , ICT and Rossco) .

I don't know what the answer is, except to trust in Pat, but it does seem that the Hibees have an opportunity due to circumstances to get some decent finishes in the league and the cups for the next few years. Should Rod recognise this and go for one outstanding signing in the summer? Or is this too risky?

The old dead club administration day anniversary brought this to mind.

Justified Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3347 Post(s)
    vCash
    We should be. But we won't be.

For it to happen, as a club we would have to finally lay to rest an inferiority complex as old as time itself; and adopt an aggression in respect to our own interests that to the club's hierarchy currently represents merely a kind of interesting abstract concept.

We're a good, clean club which lacks a vicious, arrogant streak; indeed we seem to regard the two as mutually exclusive, a view I don't subscribe to: I myself regard myself as a decent, honourable sort of bloke, but when it comes to me and mine, I feel we've as much right to the spoils of life as anyone, and woe betide anyone who wrongs or injures us.

The iron has never been hotter to adopt this position, but the evidence of the last two decades suggests to me that striking will remain beyond us. It's the awful truth that lies at the heart of my irrational devotion to Hibs.
    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'...

I Was There And Went Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    vCash

Aggie is correct, we have an 'after you, Claude' mentality as a club.

Something that I hope will change if Fenlon is given enough time. He has the ruthless streak we need to have throughout the Club, from the very top down.
    Seems like there's a hole in my dreams, or so it seems

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee's Teeth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aggie is correct, we have an 'after you, Claude' mentality as a club.

Something that I hope will change if Fenlon is given enough time. He has the ruthless streak we need to have throughout the Club, from the very top down.
    I've heard this many times. Fenlon and his much vaunted ruthless streak. Where the heck is it then. He doesnt seem to be pushing the players [at least he certainly doesnt during games]. He obviously isnt pushing them at East mains as most of them, when running, look to be carrying an anvil. If his ruthlss streak could just manifest itself at training and during games I would be prepared to acept thathe does have one.

At the moment it is like God. People seem to believe in it but cant prove it's existence.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Private Member

Somewhere between Dungannon and Edinburgh
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    vCash
    Getting horsed by teams like Dundee, Ross County, Inverness and St Johnstone should not be happening and just the thought of those lost points is frigging painful and made worse by ex Hibs players even including Hogg at Inverness playing at these clubs, i'm trying not even to think about saturday - St Mirren and Van Zanten.

THE HIBERNIAN FAMILY BORN 1875

Bounced Out!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    We should be. But we won't be.

For it to happen, as a club we would have to finally lay to rest an inferiority complex as old as time itself; and adopt an aggression in respect to our own interests that to the club's hierarchy currently represents merely a kind of interesting abstract concept.

We're a good, clean club which lacks a vicious, arrogant streak; indeed we seem to regard the two as mutually exclusive, a view I don't subscribe to: I myself regard myself as a decent, honourable sort of bloke, but when it comes to me and mine, I feel we've as much right to the spoils of life as anyone, and woe betide anyone who wrongs or injures us.

The iron has never been hotter to adopt this position, but the evidence of the last two decades suggests to me that striking will remain beyond us. It's the awful truth that lies at the heart of my irrational devotion to Hibs.
    Yep - 100% behind this view. There's a documented comment from Eddie Turnbull referring to the facial expressions of our team in the tunnel at Hampden before one of our thumpings by Celtic. At a time when all things pointed to us being able to win. And Turnbull said that he knew his team were scared! It's a mental thing - Belief - All that kind of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    I've heard this many times. Fenlon and his much vaunted ruthless streak. Where the heck is it then. He doesnt seem to be pushing the players [at least he certainly doesnt during games]. He obviously isnt pushing them at East mains as most of them, when running, look to be carrying an anvil. If his ruthlss streak could just manifest itself at training and during games I would be prepared to acept thathe does have one.

At the moment it is like God. People seem to believe in it but cant prove it's existence.
    I meant more as in the 'we will not be walked over' attitude that he brought the Club after last season, especially in derbies. I know it's not shown much in recent weeks but you have to admit we're not as a soft touch as we have been in the past.

Fenlon was never going to work miracles and get his whole squad to look the way he wants it to look with only 1 summer window, and this season was always going to be a season of consolidation and the beginning of a rebuild after last seasons debacle. It's just unfortunate that the timing of the whole ZombieHun pantomime occurred at the same time.

Fenlon should be given time, IMO, and I think after another summer transfer window we'll be a lot closer to having the squad he wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash
    I meant more as in the 'we will not be walked over' attitude that he brought the Club after last season, especially in derbies. I know it's not shown much in recent weeks but you have to admit we're not as a soft touch as we have been in the past.

Fenlon was never going to work miracles and get his whole squad to look the way he wants it to look with only 1 summer window, and this season was always going to be a season of consolidation and the beginning of a rebuild after last seasons debacle. It's just unfortunate that the timing of the whole ZombieHun pantomime occurred at the same time.

Fenlon should be given time, IMO, and I think after another summer transfer window we'll be a lot closer to having the squad he wants.
    Don't get me wrong ST. I agree that Fenlon should be given more time but in return he needs to start showin that he has some tactical awareness at the very least. He isn't really showing that and hasnt for the last few games. In fact I am not entirely convinced that we havent lucked our way through a lot of the victories we achieved at the early part of this season.

Rome wasnt built in a day but I am guessing the bloke in charge of the builders had them working their socks off and he had a plan.

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    875 Post(s)
    vCash

I agree they Fenlon needs to be more tactically aware, but (hopefully) that will come in time. I'm hoping that once the squad is more 'his' he will be able to implement his system a lot more effectively than it has been done in recent weeks. I have also thought we've been pretty lucky this season in a few games but saying that, we have become a lot more solid defensively (usually) and that does contribute in some way to the luck we have got so far.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    I agree they Fenlon needs to be more tactically aware, but (hopefully) that will come in time. I'm hoping that once the squad is more 'his' he will be able to implement his system a lot more effectively than it has been done in recent weeks. I have also thought we've been pretty lucky this season in a few games but saying that, we have become a lot more solid defensively (usually) and that does contribute in some way to the luck we have got so far.
    No wonder we're struggling if this is how we think , surely any manager coming to Hibs should have a sound tactial brain . We're Hibs not Bonnyrigg Rose .

****ed off Radge

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3760 Post(s)
    vCash
    He's shown his tactical ability.

Unfortunately his awareness lies in the defensive part of the game, for him to get this team working going forward he needs a player on the park to orchestrate it, or a man on the sides to organise it.

I dont think his mentality is to be attacking so he will never set us up that way. It'll take someone else helping him.

Micro$oft Hating Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    741 Post(s)
    vCash
    We have been underachieving in the SPL for decades. With our resources we should be able to sustain a certain level of success. How the feck we manage to be fighting relegation or struggling to make top six so frequently is beyond me. That should never be happening. Here we are in a season sans huns and again we are floundering. Really, in a $#@!e SPL we should be capable of dominating some of the teams that have handed us a new one. Grrrrrr

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BurbankHibee View Post
    We have been underachieving in the SPL for decades. With our resources we should be able to sustain a certain level of success. How the feck we manage to be fighting relegation or struggling to make top six so frequently is beyond me. That should never be happening. Here we are in a season sans huns and again we are floundering. Really, in a $#@!e SPL we should be capable of dominating some of the teams that have handed us a new one. Grrrrrr
    My point exactly. Rod (and eventually Sir T) have a gamble to make over this summer. The accountant in him will say "Don't spend, our turnover is lower than previous years", but hopefully the fitba fan in him will say "Let's go for it, we can make up for the extra wages with a cup run and European qualification, there will never be a time like this again".

We need a midfield general, and those players dont come cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    204 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirlinghibee View Post
    My point exactly. Rod (and eventually Sir T) have a gamble to make over this summer. The accountant in him will say "Don't spend, our turnover is lower than previous years", but hopefully the fitba fan in him will say "Let's go for it, we can make up for the extra wages with a cup run and European qualification, there will never be a time like this again".

Hit the bull's eye there.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6489 Post(s)
    vCash

The budget will definitely be cut this year. And I genuinely think that unless we get the the Scottish Cup Final season ticket sales will take a hammering. After twenty years a season ticket holder I have no motivation to renew.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    808 Post(s)
    vCash
    Is money really the problem? Most of our rivals best players are young, Scottish and sourced from the SFL. IMO Hibs problems have never been lack of spend but waste of spend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy View Post
    Is money really the problem? Most of our rivals best players are young, Scottish and sourced from the SFL. IMO Hibs problems have never been lack of spend but waste of spend.
    That's a fact 2HB. The constant change of manager has contributed hugely to this. A new man comes in and wants to get his own players in. We have pissed a fortune against the wall in the last few years [Or we would have if Rod hadn't been such a tightwad ].

Good point dude

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)
    vCash

This. Have said similar to pals. Also believe we need midfielders who can get forward and score goals more than once in a while, compared to other teams midfeilds i feel we are weak and lacking in something, possibly as you mention a midfeild general.

Iona Street,Leith Radge stevieboi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    216 Post(s)
    vCash
    Second force and if result dont go our way we could be sitting second bottom. Good one.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    No wonder we're struggling if this is how we think , surely any manager coming to Hibs should have a sound tactial brain . We're Hibs not Bonnyrigg Rose .
    Bonnyrigg Rose are probably a better footballing team than us at the moment.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc1875 View Post
    Bonnyrigg Rose are probably a better footballing team than us at the moment.
    First team that popped into my head

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    759 Post(s)
    vCash
    Fenlon has brought as much ruthlessness as perhaps a manager can into a club run which is owned and run by people who understand business rather than football.

Or perhaps it runs deeper than even the owners. That would be something more difficult to change and if true we may as well all just give up.

Let's try changing the owners instead of the manager this time. If that doesn't work, we've got some new questions to answer.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

GoGO Back To Forum