User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 57

Thread: weegies why do we call them it

  1. #1
    Toddler Radge 1_alex_edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    livingston
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12

    weegies why do we call them it

    as it says in the title i call them it all the time but i have no idea how they got that name

    any ideas :102:

  2. #2
    a radge for all seasons
    SoulBamRab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boomtown
    Posts
    4,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Glasweejians

  3. #3
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Did Irvine Welsh not start it? I hadn't heard it before Trainspotting?

  4. #4
    We have a Technical
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire
    Posts
    4,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by hibs1986 View Post
    Did Irvine Welsh not start it? I hadn't heard it before Trainspotting?
    No, our Irvine came up with "Soap Dodging weegie bassa's"!

  5. #5
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Hampden_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by 1_alex_edwards View Post
    as it says in the title i call them it all the time but i have no idea how they got that name

    any ideas :102:
    Inferiority complex made popular by Irvine Welsh.

  6. #6
    Radge Private Member
    O'Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    I think soapdodgers has a more interesting genesis as it may have come about because Gorbals was the last place in Europe to get the plague
    Newtown where everybody goes around sniffing televisina or taking footbalina

  7. #7
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Flasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    What are youse called anyway?
    I overheard two tradesmen in my work discuss it once. One was explaining to the other "naw, WE'RE weegies, THEY'RE bufties". I like that. Ya shower of bufties.
    (Posted fae ma mobile fone)

  8. #8
    Baby Radge
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    High Country
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Short for Glaswegian I always presumed. Not derogatory either.

  9. #9
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess GforGallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    What are youse called anyway?
    I overheard two tradesmen in my work discuss it once. One was explaining to the other "naw, WE'RE weegies, THEY'RE bufties". I like that. Ya shower of bufties.
    (Posted fae ma mobile fone)
    Edinbugger apparently

    or Edinburgers

  10. #10
    Radge Private Member




    Dr Shrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    17,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    301

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by 1_alex_edwards View Post
    as it says in the title i call them it all the time but i have no idea how they got that name

    any ideas :102:
    Are you serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBamRab View Post
    Glasweejians
    That's about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by hibs1986 View Post
    Did Irvine Welsh not start it? I hadn't heard it before Trainspotting?

    They've always been Weegies to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    Inferiority complex made popular by Irvine Welsh.


    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    What are youse called anyway?
    I overheard two tradesmen in my work discuss it once. One was explaining to the other "naw, WE'RE weegies, THEY'RE bufties". I like that. Ya shower of bufties.
    (Posted fae ma mobile fone)

  11. #11
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by hibs1986 View Post
    Did Irvine Welsh not start it? I hadn't heard it before Trainspotting?
    Been in use much longer than that.

  12. #12
    Radge Private Member

    tayside hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
    Posts
    1,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    62

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by 1_alex_edwards View Post
    as it says in the title i call them it all the time but i have no idea how they got that name

    any ideas :102:
    :102:

    Its a right old krypton factor one that

    I,ve often wondered why we are called "Hibees"

  13. #13
    Poros Massive Radge Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    east edinburgh
    Posts
    4,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    it was started by an edinburgh magazine called "shavers weekly" who irvine welsh ended up writing for, he pinched it from them

  14. #14
    Radge Private Member




    Dr Shrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    17,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    301

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    it was started by an edinburgh magazine called "shavers weekly" who irvine welsh ended up writing for, he pinched it from them



    I don't think so.

    My grannie used to refer to Weegie and that was a few decades before.


  15. #15
    Poros Massive Radge Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    east edinburgh
    Posts
    4,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shrink View Post



    I don't think so.

    My grannie used to refer to Weegie and that was a few decades before.

    fair do's

    they've claimed to have started it

  16. #16
    Radge Private Member




    Dr Shrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    17,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    301

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    fair do's

    they've claimed to have started it
    I always believed it to be a simple derivative of Glaswegian. Certainly when my old gran used it, 'twas more a pet name fo them.

    Like "Roland".

    As opposed to "AH $#@! LOOK IT'S ANOTHER ONE O THAE VERMIN AFF THE TIP"


    Apologies (as usual) to the LTOGC.

  17. #17
    Everybody is a Radge snoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    Inferiority complex made popular by Irvine Welsh.
    In what way doesn't using a shortened name like weegie show an inferiority complex?

  18. #18
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Hampden_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by snoots View Post
    In what way doesn't using a shortened name like weegie show an inferiority complex?
    By the obsession prevalent among Edinburgh folk that so many things are 'weegie'-centric whether they are or are not.

    It's not just on this forum. I work for a company with a sizeable workforce in both Glasgow and Edinburgh. Edinburgh employees can't come into our Glasgow workplaces without slabbering on interminably about weegie this and weegie that. Bloody boring so it is. Get over it.

  19. #19
    Everybody is a Radge snoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    [quote=Hampden_Hibby;1131763]By the obsession prevalent among Edinburgh folk that so many things are 'weegie'-centric whether they are or are not.

    Errm - well they are aren't they?


    It's not just on this forum. I work for a company with a sizeable workforce in both Glasgow and Edinburgh. Edinburgh employees can't come into our Glasgow workplaces without slabbering on interminably about weegie this and weegie that. Bloody boring so it is. Get over it.
    Tell them, why tell me?

  20. #20
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    (oh to be back in the burg)
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shrink View Post
    I always believed it to be a simple derivative of Glaswegian. Certainly when my old gran used it, 'twas more a pet name fo them.

    Like "Roland".

    As opposed to "AH $#@! LOOK IT'S ANOTHER ONE O THAE VERMIN AFF THE TIP"


    Apologies (as usual) to the LTOGC.
    I've always used it in much the same way...sure occationally it's "argh, weegie $#@!s" but as just kinda a short name is more common for me.

  21. #21
    Freeloading Admin Radge
    Gunnerhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Muirhouse
    Posts
    15,393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    80

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    it was started by an edinburgh magazine called "shavers weekly" who irvine welsh ended up writing for, he pinched it from them
    is this magazine one that has been going for a while? like as in 40-50 years? Just that its one that I've not heard off/read, and my auld man was using the term "Weegies" way back in the 60's, probably before that tae :102:
    The Daily Record



    The jobs not finished 'til the paperworks done

  22. #22
    Gunt Inquisitor



    Zitellis Heid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In Pilting.
    Posts
    5,642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    102

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shrink View Post
    I always believed it to be a simple derivative of Glaswegian. Certainly when my old gran used it, 'twas more a pet name fo them.

    Like "Roland".

    As opposed to "AH $#@! LOOK IT'S ANOTHER ONE O THAE VERMIN AFF THE TIP"


    Apologies (as usual) to the LTOGC.

    AAh Old old gran.

    She would often state. "Whit? A weegie? Watch yer poakets son, bloody Tinks `n Gypo`s, the lot o` them!"

    And she was 83 you know. When she died.

    Cheers for the memory Doc. A thread could be in order.

  23. #23
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge


    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    21,080
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    225

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerhibby View Post
    is this magazine one that has been going for a while? like as in 40-50 years? Just that its one that I've not heard off/read, and my auld man was using the term "Weegies" way back in the 60's, probably before that tae :102:
    It's a free magazine that has been on the go for a good 20 odd years I would estimate Colin. It's oft seen lying around in bars in Stockaree [no doubt in other areas as well]. Next time I see the boy that co-owned it I will ask when it started up.

    EDIT: I won't ask him, it has definitely not been around as long as 40 years.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die
    .

    [ Daddy O'Hibee]


  24. #24
    Adult Radge
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next tae the railway bridge
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Coz if we called them scoots they wid be confused wi dundonians.

  25. #25
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Hampden_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by snoots View Post
    Tell them, why tell me?
    Who says I was talking to you? Only the first part of my reply was for you directly.

  26. #26
    Everybody is a Radge snoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    Who says I was talking to you? Only the first part of my reply was for you directly.

    Oh dear, chippy weegies.

    Anyway - how does it show an inferiority complex?

  27. #27
    Toddler Radge 1_alex_edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    livingston
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    thank you

    cant believe i didnt see it so obvious
    i blame a prodestant schooling

    and to all who took the piss

  28. #28
    Toddler Radge
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    embra
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    Inferiority complex made popular by Irvine Welsh.
    Eh???

    The irony is, the only inferiority complex prevalent on this thread is coming from you!!
    Last edited by hibdahop; 08-12-09 at 19:36.

  29. #29
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,387
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    Inferiority complex made popular by Irvine Welsh.
    I've genuinely always been of the opinion that the inferiority complex worked the other way - I don't think I've ever met anyone in Edinburgh who thinks Edinburgh (people or city) is inferior to Glasgow. :102:
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  30. #30
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Hampden_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by snoots View Post
    Oh dear, chippy weegies.

    Anyway - how does it show an inferiority complex?
    I'll try again. By virtue of the obsession of Edinburgh folk to drone on repeatedly about weegies. Reminds me a bit like the Scots who drone on endlessly about the English, blaming them for every ill. That, to me, betrays an inferiority complex too.

  31. #31
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Hampden_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    I've genuinely always been of the opinion that the inferiority complex worked the other way - I don't think I've ever met anyone in Edinburgh who thinks Edinburgh (people or city) is inferior to Glasgow. :102:
    Aye well there you go eh? O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us.

  32. #32
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Flasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    I'll try again. By virtue of the obsession of Edinburgh folk to drone on repeatedly about weegies. Reminds me a bit like the Scots who drone on endlessly about the English, blaming them for every ill. That, to me, betrays an inferiority complex too.
    Only one way to sort this out.....................................




    FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!
    (Posted fae ma mobile fone)

  33. #33
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,387
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    Aye well there you go eh? O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us.
    Indeed. It's always appeared to me that Weegies are always banging on about the capital - never occurred to me that we're probably as bad as them. By that I mean guilty of the same, obviously we're much better than them in every other way ;-)
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  34. #34
    Radge From The West Side Joe T Fan Club's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,303
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    Indeed. It's always appeared to me that Weegies are always banging on about the capital - never occurred to me that we're probably as bad as them. By that I mean guilty of the same, obviously we're much better than them in every other way ;-)
    Out of interest, can you give me an example of when Weegies have "banged on" about the capital? Just one would do.

    I personally don't think it's Edinburgh people per-se who seem to have a problem with Glaswegians. In my own experience it has been mainly Hibs and Hearts fans, some of which, I'm afraid, seem to think that Celtic & Rangers = Glasgow.
    They seem to feel that, perhaps sub-consciously, that it's the fault of Glasgow that a huge number of their own residents choose to support Celtic and Rangers.

    Glaswegians, by and large, are completely and utterly apathetic about Edinburgh. Once and for all, we seriously couldn't give a feck about who is the capital, HONESTLY!!!

    It is entirely a one way inferiority complex that some east coasters have about Glasgow, in my opinion. If you doubt me, start counting up the "west coast media" paranoia threads on here, for starters...

  35. #35
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,387
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T Fan Club View Post
    Out of interest, can you give me an example of when Weegies have "banged on" about the capital? Just one would do.
    My Weegie relatives regularly bang on in such a manner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T Fan Club View Post
    I personally don't think it's Edinburgh people per-se who seem to have a problem with Glaswegians. In my own experience it has been mainly Hibs and Hearts fans, some of which, I'm afraid, seem to think that Celtic & Rangers = Glasgow.
    They seem to feel that, perhaps sub-consciously, that it's the fault of Glasgow that a huge number of their own residents choose to support Celtic and Rangers.

    Glaswegians, by and large, are completely and utterly apathetic about Edinburgh. Once and for all, we seriously couldn't give a feck about who is the capital, HONESTLY!!!

    It is entirely a one way inferiority complex that some east coasters have about Glasgow, in my opinion. If you doubt me, start counting up the "west coast media" paranoia threads on here, for starters...
    This kind of just confirms my point that it always seems to be people from the other city that you notice. I would describe people in Edinburgh as vaguely aware of Glasgow for the most part.

    Are you actually sticking up for the way the Glasgow papers conduct their business in respect to football? Jeez, I've heard it all now...
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  36. #36
    Radge From The West Side Joe T Fan Club's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,303
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    My Weegie relatives regularly bang on in such a manner.
    Okay, your Uncle Boab and Auntie Sadie say so, fair do's. I've lived in this city for 42 years and that's certainly not the impression I get, I can assure you.

    This kind of just confirms my point that it always seems to be people from the other city that you notice. I would describe people in Edinburgh as vaguely aware of Glasgow for the most part.
    Seriously? You're an admin and yet you don't detect a teeny weeny wee bit of anti-Glasgow xenophobia on these forums from time to time? To quote you, jeez, I've heard it all now...

    Are you actually sticking up for the way the Glasgow papers conduct their business in respect to football? Jeez, I've heard it all now...
    I ain't sticking up for anyone. I don't read those papers and if it's such an issue for people then I'd suggest they don't read them, either. It's all about supply and demand, I suppose. If more Edinburgh folk were to support their local team, then the media in general would have a more balanced view.
    Once again, you see, it appears as though the City of Glasgow are the bad guys for a huge number of Edinburgh folk choosing not to support their local team!

  37. #37
    Everybody is a Radge snoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    By virtue of the obsession of Edinburgh folk to drone on repeatedly about weegies.

    I don't recognise that at all.

    Sounds like delusions of grandeur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T Fan Club View Post
    Glaswegians, by and large, are completely and utterly apathetic about Edinburgh. Once and for all, we seriously couldn't give a feck about who is the capital, HONESTLY!!!

    I don't think you can speak for all Glaswegians. I've met more than a few who had a bee in their bunnet about Edinburgh and their, sometimes bizarre, perceptions of Edinburgh.
    Last edited by snoots; 08-12-09 at 23:42. Reason: Auto Merged Post

  38. #38
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,387
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T Fan Club View Post
    Okay, your Uncle Boab and Auntie Sadie say so, fair do's. I've lived in this city for 42 years and that's certainly not the impression I get, I can assure you.
    Why would you? You're a native and that's my whole point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T Fan Club View Post
    Seriously? You're an admin and yet you don't detect a teeny weeny wee bit of anti-Glasgow xenophobia on these forums from time to time? To quote you, jeez, I've heard it all now...
    Of course I do but this is a Hibs forum, Hibs fans generally hate everything to do with the Old Firm and not without good reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T Fan Club View Post
    I ain't sticking up for anyone. I don't read those papers and if it's such an issue for people then I'd suggest they don't read them, either. It's all about supply and demand, I suppose. If more Edinburgh folk were to support their local team, then the media in general would have a more balanced view.
    Once again, you see, it appears as though the City of Glasgow are the bad guys for a huge number of Edinburgh folk choosing not to support their local team!
    People click on links here and other sites and are just interested in reading what's being said about whatever player the Daily Record is selling to Rantic - seems fair that they should be pissed off at biased reporting. Slagging your town's papers is not slagging you or your town.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  39. #39
    Radge Private Member




    Dr Shrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    17,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    301

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T Fan Club View Post
    Okay, your Uncle Boab and Auntie Sadie say so, fair do's.
    Er........ they're weegies Joe.


    Uncle Shuggie and Auntie Senga I think.


  40. #40
    'Good Evening - We Are The Fall Radge'

    fieryjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    glasgow
    Posts
    2,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    Why would you? You're a native and that's my whole point - read my posts again.



    Of course I do but this is a Hibs forum, Hibs fans generally hate everything to do with the Old Firm and not without good reason.



    People click on links here and other sites and are just interested in reading what's being said about whatever player the Daily Record is selling to Rantic - seems fair that they should be pissed off at biased reporting. Slagging your town's papers is not slagging you or your town.
    Agreed that when you slag the west coast papers it is not slagging us or the town. We non OF supporters through here also detest the OF.

    Have a look at it from our point of view? It's just that it gets to be a pain in the arse when folk on here tend to come across as OF = Glasgow, when stating weedgie this and weedgie that when what they mean is OF (players, fans. journos...) this and OF that.

    See they Embra folk? Aw fur coat and nae knickers, btw...

    fj
    LToGC


    "The days of coming back and running around Arthur's Seat which brings back memories for me and running up and down sand dunes are over. That's not my style.
    I am right into the balls on the first day..."
    John Hughes June 2009

  41. #41
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by fieryjack View Post
    Agreed that when you slag the west coast papers it is not slagging us or the town. We non OF supporters through here also detest the OF.

    Have a look at it from our point of view? It's just that it gets to be a pain in the arse when folk on here tend to come across as OF = Glasgow, when stating weedgie this and weedgie that when what they mean is OF (players, fans. journos...) this and OF that.

    See they Embra folk? Aw fur coat and nae knickers, btw...

    fj
    LToGC
    You will find most people have no problem at all with fair minded citizens of Glasgow. The problem is a lot them are dirty, smelly, weegie $#@!s and as football fans those are the type we come into contact with most often.

  42. #42
    'Good Evening - We Are The Fall Radge'

    fieryjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    glasgow
    Posts
    2,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    You will find most people have no problem at all with fair minded citizens of Glasgow. The problem is a lot them are dirty, smelly, weegie $#@!s and as football fans those are the type we come into contact with most often.
    I note your location as being Ayrshire. Potential 'deliverance' country, no?

    fj - sweeping statements 'r' us


    "The days of coming back and running around Arthur's Seat which brings back memories for me and running up and down sand dunes are over. That's not my style.
    I am right into the balls on the first day..."
    John Hughes June 2009

  43. #43
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by fieryjack View Post
    I note your location as being Ayrshire. Potential 'deliverance' country, no?

    fj - sweeping statements 'r' us
    No. You have to go past Mauchline to get to that part of the County. I just happen to reside here anyway i'm fi Piershill.

  44. #44
    American Fitba' Radge
    The Hibby Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Strathaven
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    You will find most people have no problem at all with fair minded citizens of Glasgow. The problem is a lot them are dirty, smelly, weegie $#@!s and as football fans those are the type we come into contact with most often.
    As in:-

    Motherwell = Weegie $#@!s
    Hamilton = Weegie $#@!s
    St. Mirren = Weegie $#@!s
    Kilmarnock = Weegie $#@!s

    I have heard all of these epithets from Hibbies this season (and many before).
    Not sure if this states that "Weegie" is actually meant to imply "anywhere west of Edinburgh" or if it's just woeful geography.


    PS. You'll have had your tea?

  45. #45
    Radge Private Member
    Westside Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hibby Pirate View Post
    As in:-

    Motherwell = Weegie $#@!s
    Hamilton = Weegie $#@!s
    St. Mirren = Weegie $#@!s
    Kilmarnock = Weegie $#@!s

    I have heard all of these epithets from Hibbies this season (and many before).
    Not sure if this states that "Weegie" is actually meant to imply "anywhere west of Edinburgh" or if it's just woeful geography.


    PS. You'll have had your tea?
    Nothing to do with woeful geography they're just thick or can't differentiate between weegie like accents.

    Never understood the had your tea phrase, not something I ever heard much of until moving west.

  46. #46
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T Fan Club View Post
    Out of interest, can you give me an example of when Weegies have "banged on" about the capital? Just one would do.

    "Its only wan street and a castle, yada, yada."

    "Its all fake. Tartan Gonks, and that. No a real city like Glesga. Yada, yada."

    "Yous are aw fur coat and nae knickers no real people like in Glesga. Yada, yada."

    "Yous have aw got servants, Yada, yada."

    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    Nothing to do with woeful geography they're just thick or can't differentiate between weegie like accents.

    Never understood the had your tea phrase, not something I ever heard much of until moving west.

    Lanarkshire accents used to be quite distinct from Glaswegian accents. But then, Leith accents used to be a bit distinctive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    You will find most people have no problem at all with fair minded citizens of Glasgow. The problem is a lot them are dirty, smelly, weegie $#@!s and as football fans those are the type we come into contact with most often.

    Go with that. Many fantastic Glaswegians. I love the city's pace and energy.
    Last edited by Kurt; 09-12-09 at 20:31. Reason: Auto Merged Post

  47. #47
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge


    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    21,080
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    225

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Quote Originally Posted by Westside Green View Post
    Nothing to do with woeful geography they're just thick or can't differentiate between weegie like accents.

    Never understood the had your tea phrase, not something I ever heard much of until moving west.
    It's along the lines of;

    If you visit a glaswegian household at tea time the lady of the house would greet you with "We're just having our tea, pull up a chair and join us" If you visit an edinburgh household at tea time the lady of the house would say "We're just having our tea, you'll have had yours"

    A myth perpetrated by jealous weegies
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die
    .

    [ Daddy O'Hibee]


  48. #48
    Toddler Radge
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    embra
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    Brought up in Edinburgh but spent 5 years in 'the weej'. Had a cracking time there, but i'm genuinely struggling to think of any way people in Edinburgh would feel inferior to those in Glasgow. Quite the opposite in fact.

    The "fur coat and nae knickers" and "you'll have had your tea" are lazy sterotypes perpetrated by those looking for an easy dig/laugh. Just as i've never found much truth in the Glaswegian's are much friendlier nonsense - unless you call a pished up jakey telling you he loves you, friendly!

    Getting pissed off at the west-coast football media isn't the preserve of those from Edinburgh - it's just a natural reaction of non old firm fans to an undeniably old firm dominated press. Fact.

    In fact, i'm not sure of all the categories that make up the scoring for the most desirable place to live indexes/ quality of living surveys often published, but i'm pretty sure Edinburgh would be ahead of Glasgow in most. If not all!!

  49. #49
    Gunt Inquisitor



    Zitellis Heid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In Pilting.
    Posts
    5,642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    102

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSZwEwl_1Q"]YouTube- Cher - Gypsys Tramps And Thieves[/ame]


  50. #50
    Formerly known as jimmyhibs

    jimmyhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Polo mint City
    Posts
    5,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: weegies why do we call them it

    weedgie believe it?

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. FAO Weegies
    By BunnahabhainXXV in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-11-08, 10:59
  2. Al Fresco Drinking (FAO The Weegies)
    By BunnahabhainXXV in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-06-08, 18:41
  3. Funny Weegies
    By BunnahabhainXXV in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 31-08-06, 16:36
  4. Weegies Genetically Inferior
    By BunnahabhainXXV in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-08-06, 11:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •